General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Painting wheels

Hi, I have one black rear wheel and one white front wheel. I want to paint the front black to match the rear. Any suggestions? Remove the wheel or is there an easy way to paint it while on the bike?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove wheel (& tire), take to local powder-coating place...done.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

last time i painted my wheels we did not powder coat but painted with a spray gun..... remove and disassemble wheel, sand and prep and then paint and clearcoat...also mask off areas that need to stay flat and clean..i.e. bearing surfaces, where rotors and sprockets bolt to

there is no good way to paint them on the bike sorry to say

Old 03-23-2012, 07:33 PM

I forget where, but I saw a post somewhere where the guy removed the front wheel, let the air out of the tire, and stuck playing cards vertically between the tire and rim effectively protecting the tire from over spray. Just make sure you mask off the center hub well. I actually removed both my wheels and tires and resprayed them white with Rustoleum Epoxy/Appliance paint and they came out fantastic. Prep is the key..

Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 PM

I painted mine with a spray gun, asked the guys at napa to mix up something high heat, oil / fluid resistant. lots of prep, lots of coats, lots of clear.

so far they are holding up great, have taken alot of unswept stony roads, no chipping. clean up well everytime. bled the brakes and did get some fluid on them, wiped off and no issues.

I did the old deflate cram paper between the bead and lip, tape off tire, and spray it all. actually worked pretty good. It was getting warm too fast and I didnt want to get over my head and miss the riding!.

Attached Thumbnails Painting wheels-cbr.jpg  
Old 03-23-2012, 10:21 PM

JaredTowne!!!
Badass bike bro!!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:31 PM

thanks for the comment bro.. its been alot of work from when I got it in its decrepit state, its not much, it isnt a 20k bike like you see on here, but I am proud of it. and it sure is fun!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:57 PM

you can do it your self, it is actually pretty simple,
the prep work is 80% of it. take it off, no need to let the air out.
wash it with some kind of heavy soap, i found dish soap works the best but you will need lots of it, then spray it with either brake cleaner or paint thinner to get rid of any oil or what ever you got.
then sand it with 100-120G sand paper, and try to use wet sand. works a lot better.

wash it again with hot water or paint thinner to get rid of any kind of dust or what ever.

then tape off what ever you don't want to spray, or maybe you can take them off, stuff like brakes and sprockets are easily removed. the bigger stuff like bearing or what not is easier to paint.

get a dollar store deck of cards (might need more then one deck) and stick it all round the tires.

then paint one side at a time and use a heat gun to cure it.

put at least two or three coats of paint on either side and wait a few hours in between.

if you wish to clear it, you can also do that at the same time.

inspect it between coats to make sure its going good and don't have any over spray or what ever.

the whole thing should take you no more then a day or two

i washed mine in the bath tub and cleaned the tub while i was waiting for paint to dry.

if you got a parts washer you can use it as well.