General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint question

I have most of my bike primer'd and was wondering if it's possible to just leave only the primer on it. Im using a spray gun to do it and its turning out nice im just worried that the primer will rub off on my jacket when i lay on the tank. I may clear coat over the primer to fix this but would rather not.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kinda primer did you use? Etching primer, epoxy, or sealer primer. Did you sand the paint off, or just scuff it up? Did you use the same on the tank AND plastics? You are supposed to use paint that is specifically designed for plastic on the fairings, its engineered to be flexible and to stick better to plastic than regular automotive paint. Also did you use an enamel, urethane, or acryllic. Whatever you used you need to make sure you use the same kinda base coat, clear coat or else it will cause the paint to "lift", then you'll be sanding and painting all over again. Now to answer your question, there is a very good posibility that some primer will rub off on your jacket, but it should just wipe off (as long as its dry) (I hope your not riding around with wet paint)lol. You could either buy some paint to finish the job, or buy a tank bra. If you clear coat it, when it comes time to paint color you'll need to sand ALL the clear coat off. I'm glad to see your using a spray gun and not a rattle can, that crap WILL rub off. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:34 AM

Dont know what kind of primer it is im getting my buddies dad to do the painting i just sanded and did some body work, he's the painter lol. Whatever it is its freaking expensive was $165 for a gallon. I do like the matte look and this is what he recommended. He also told me to go ahead and let him clear coat it, that it would keep the same look with it.

Will most likekly get him to clear over it so i can add decals back on it.

O and the gallon is doing my bike and his el camino.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:30 AM

You can clear over the primer, but primer does not have any uv resistance like paint would. The clear coat will have some and add some protection, but I would bet the primer after a few years in the sun will peal off. Primer is strictly an adhesive coat to bond between the metal or plastic and the paint. It dries very fast and you wont have that chemical bond you get with paint to clear coat. urathane clear coat will cover just about anything, but it will probably not last too long.

Also, if you clear it, it will become shiny and you will no longer have the flat look. Unless you use a flat clear. It wont take much paint to do a bike. I would spend the money and buy a quart of base coat paint, then clear it with a flat clear coat if you want the satin look.

times are tough and money is tight. But since your at this point, you might as well do it right. you will be much happier in the long run. If he is going to supply the clear anyway, your cost will be minimal.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:22 PM

He has clear left from his truck but dont know if it will work. Just looking for a quick fix to the crappy paint job on the fairings thats on it. Going to take them off and get them done as well, just dont know what color im going to do. Just need this set for summer to rtide around with.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:06 PM

yep. the primer should work for a short time, as long as it adhesive well and im pretty sure your friends dad knows what hes doing. I doubt it will rub off on to your clothes or peel within a year. The only way I can imagine it peeling is if it did not adhesive correctly to the fairings.

No real point to clear coat it and if your just going to redo it again.