General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating

My bike (2001 CBR 600f4i) is over heating.....yes i am the same guy with the bike that leaks oil....Today i saw that my oil light came on snd started blinking..... i know i havent lost a whole lot of oil by what i see all the time under the bike...so i went to adavnced auto parts and bought a court of oil and put it into the bike....the good news is the oil light went away.so i drove home..however as soon as i stopped riding....drips of oil started coming from my bike and from different places.I think some of it came from two hoses that i assume are meant for overflow. On top of that it started to overheat to 237 degrees while i was driving. Any advice guys????. I think im gonna strip it down to bones tomorrow...ride it around my block and mark all the places i see oil coming from. Same bike with the brake problem too.. (I wonder why he sold me the bike????) Is the overheating related to such a small loss of oil or is something else wrong?

Old 11-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Default RE: overheating

where is it leaking? if it from the bolt change it and the WASHER
make sure your fan also works and that you have coolant. Bikes usually warm up fast when you don't rev it high or speed to get wind inside the airbox.

When I got my F4 my fuse for the fan had blown and my bike started running extremely hot, making the coolant boil and get out.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:47 PM

I just saw ur previous post. Are you talking about the stator cover leaking? http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0016oz.jpg that was my old F4 replacement. The cover + the lil blue thing to stop the leaks

Old 11-14-2005, 10:50 PM
Retired Administrator

I don't think the oil leak could cause the over heating problem... Sounds like you and the shop manual need to sit down and look the bike over. Check your hoses for cracks/rot and so on. Check your coolant level, the over flow should have a high and low mark on it. Check out the fan like Shraz said. It's beginning to sound like some one put the bike back together and didn't know what they were doing.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your fan doens't turn on at around 225-228 or sooner, check the sending unit that triggers the fan, but prior to this, check to make sure the fan turns one when you apply direct power to it.

it could also be that your water pump is not working properly or the thermostat, which is a pita to get to, isn't working properly as well.

as far as the oil...where's it all coming from?

pix, etc. would be totally helpful.

what's wrong with the brakes? leaking from where?

Old 11-15-2005, 04:04 PM

If I'm not mistaken there is NO over-flow for oil. think about it, oil pressure can get pretty high at high-spped the last thing you want to happen is your oil to flow out and land on your tire???? Bro you just got a oil leak that needs fixing bad. Low oil will make your bike overheat because theres to much friction in your engine. Try to find the leaks fix that and take it from there.