General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheated/leaked coolant HELP PLZ!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheated/leaked coolant HELP PLZ!

So I recently bought my first bike (96 cbr f3) and a couple days ago the temperature outside was around 70 degrees and I brought my bike to a buddies house to show it to him and It was sitting in his driveway idleing for about 10-15 minutes. when I got back on it to head back to my house, I noticed it was running pretty hot from just sitting there. Not in the red but getting kinda close. So i road it to the end of the subdivision and was about to pull out onto the main road and noticed that it began leaking coolant. The needle never went into the red, it was close but not quite there. I got scared and cut it off and let it sit for about 10 minutes and it was fine after that. So the next day I called a powersports service place and they said that generally all bikes tend to heat up when they sit idleing. and said that the coolant probably leaked from the overflow. I'm scared that when it comes mid summer and I'm stuck in traffic I might have a problem on my hands. So please share your comments regarding bikes and this tendancy to possibly overheat, also any methods or practices to avoid this type of problem. I'm thinking I might need a coolant flush, the guy I bought it from had mentioned to me that he planned on getting that done but didnt before I bought it. Please comment and share your thoughts. Thanks.