General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Residue in Throttle Body, PCV Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 02:48 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Residue in Throttle Body, PCV Valve?

I pulled the airbox off of my '01 600 F4i today to change out the throttle cables (which I haven't done yet; I was trying to find a good video/pic walkthrough for my bike), when I noticed that there was a slight film of what looks and smells like oil inside the throttle body. (There was a very tiny bit that looked like it might have water in it too.) I was reading that this might be a malfunctioning Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve.

From my research today, my understanding is that a broken valve would also cause a rich fuel mixture which is in line with the 1500 rpm idle speed that I've noticed over the past few months. It's supposed to be 1300 +/- 100 which is certainly was a while back.

1.) How can I test the PCV valve?
2.) How should I clean out the oil residue in the throttle body and airbox?
3.) What else could the problem be?

My bike is my only means of transportation so I'm sometimes reluctant to do maintenance that keeps it out of commission for extended periods of time. It's in pieces outside right now, so a quick answer means a lot to me. Thanks guys!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Default Oil residue

To clean the air filter box remove it and remove small sponge filters that are fitted to the lower part (if your model has them- check if they look ok) remove any electronics and you can simply wash it like a dish with soap and everything. the throttle body is a bit more tricky and you don't want any solvents inside the engine so better would be to use a cloth that won't leave any cotton and wipe the oil out don't clean where the butterflies seat. Cranckcase vents have two valves on the top of the camshat cover (PAIR circuit used to secondary air injection) I believe they are called reed valves, if one or both are broken or show any signs of fatigue oil vapor will condense along the circuit and eventually will reach throttle the body. To check them you have to gain visual access so if you are to do it try to remove the less possible and carefully so you can reuse gaskets or o'rings till new ones come.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:03 AM
Registered Users

Update:
I pulled off the valve cover and it was pretty squeaky clean except for some gunk built up around where the crankcase breather hose nipple comes through into the crankcase itself. The PAIR valve was also very clean but the reed valves a little farther down were really gross, but only on the exhaust side. Could air be leaking through them and carrying burnt fuel/air mixture into my airbox? This is what I am thinking since the air filter is dirty on the wrong side (that is, on the side opposite the side exposed to outside air coming in) and burn a/f mixture could get pushed into that breather hose and into just the beginnings of the crank case if the reed valves were damaged.

Sound plausible? I am going to order new reed valves tonight along with some other parts I want. I figure that they are 11 years old and could use replacing regardless.

In related news, I don't even have a PCV valve. I'm such a N00B! The crankcase is just straight ventilated on my 01 F4i

Old 10-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Default Idle

I don't really know your bike I have the previous model some parts are very similar. IF you find inside the valve cover a creamy stuff (almost as capuccino cream light brown) that may mean you have a leak of coolant to the engine. That happens not very often through the oil cooler. To make sure without going into disassemble just look how the radiator cap looks inside it should have the same creamy stuff a little lighter color (close to butter colored) if that's the case. A dark brown grease may mean incorrect oil, mineral oil is not an option when it comes to a high performance or catalitic engines, always sinthetic it leaves no residues.