General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pan problem/parts help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pan problem/parts help needed

hey folks i can't believe i'm writing this soon for this level of help. i just bought my cbr954rr less than a month ago. it seems i cracked the oil pan case where the oil drain plug screws in.

last nite i was gonna do some basic servicing/cleaning of the bike (fluids, filters, etc) just generally checking it out since i recently got the bike. read my manuals which indicated 22 lb-ft of torque for the oil drain bolt so i begin to use my torgue wrench after it was hand tightened. after a few turns i noticed it was getting hard but no click from the wrench?? anyway long story short. it seems i over torqued it & cracked the case (small hairline crack, but oil is leaking) where the threads are for the drain bolt. dangit i felt like crying!

this has NEVER happen to me before when tightening the drain plug on any bike or car!! are these engines (materials) that light & too thin to not take much beyond the rated torque?? has this happened to anyone else?

anyway, suggestions on how to fix this?
[ol][*]liquid weld (like jb weld.. i hate to go 2nd rate, but am scared of the cost for replacing the entire pan)[*]replace the entire pan? (from bike bandit.com it seems the part number is 197655-001 & "only" cost $165)[*]any other suggestions??
[/ol] please help! i do wanna ride before its too cold here in georgia

kahlil

Old 11-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: oil pan problem/parts help needed

find a used pan off ebay or find a good welder. no jb weld stuff.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:47 AM

thanks tahoe.... looked on ebay & no luck so far, but i think i got a couple of good leads!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: kahlilj
anyway, suggestions on how to fix this?
[ol][*]liquid weld (like jb weld.. i hate to go 2nd rate, but am scared of the cost for replacing the entire pan)[*]replace the entire pan? (from bike bandit.com it seems the part number is 197655-001 & "only" cost $165)[*]any other suggestions?? [/ol]
please help! i do wanna ride before its too cold here in georgia

kahlil
If you mentioned what bike it was for, I missed it. This is a cut and paste from our online parts finder for an 05 600RR:

PAN, OIL
11210-MEE-000 (this is the real Honda part number. Bike Bandit makes up his own so that you cant easily cross shop)
click the signature pic to shop our parts catalog if you dont have any luck on ebay.
$96.62

Old 11-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's for a 954...

Old 11-05-2007, 01:38 PM

Ooooops!

I see that now.

Our price for a new pan is $116.00

Old 11-05-2007, 04:11 PM

thanks jbrown. i think i may have found a used one. will let u know if that doesn't work out.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:57 AM

ORIGINAL: jbrown

Our price for a new pan is $116.00
Just thought I'd chime in my two cents as an avid OEM parts price comparison shopper. These Carolina guys' prices are ultra-competitive. The list price for that oil pan is around $162...there's no reason not to get new--saving fifty bucks like that, that's like getting free oil, filter and a gasket to go with it. I don't work for these guys, but I do spend 40 hours a month on ebay scrolling through CBR900RR searches until my eyeballs start bleeding. It's just not worth it anymore (except for bodywork), when I can get new OEM parts for thirty percent (or more) off what full retail rapists charge. Reasonable prices for brand new parts? AYFKM? New is so nice...you can count on it, it's clean, it comes in a sealed package, you don't have to worry if it's straight or cracked or gouged. I'm telling you, peace of mind is worth the extra money.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:13 AM

Thanks for the confirmation. Our goal is to make buying from us as pleasant a way of parting with your fundage as you will ever have.

Our guys are on the phone and at the computer all day long to assist you with choosing the right part. Things like color codes for body owrk can be confusing....

Old 11-12-2007, 04:45 PM

thanks brown & spiritrr. i agree with what you are saying & probably will use carolinacycle in the future, but i was able to find a used one in really good condition for $50 & at this time of year (nearing holidays) with some youngs ones at home to buy gifs for, every dollar saved helps!

thanks again to all!