General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

odd 2nd gear, with weird 'fix'

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd 2nd gear, with weird 'fix'

so my 1-2 shift has been getting pretty bad lately. Whether I slam it or nudge it into 2nd it likes to pop into neutral, not always but a lot. Between yesterday and today I started doing something a little different. When shifting into 2nd, I'll hold the shifter up before letting go of the clutch, or I'll hold it up a little longer when clutchless shifting. It wont pop into neutral when I hold it up, as oppsed to just clicking it quick.

Does that lead to any possible reason why I'm having 2nd/neu problems? Almost makes me wonder if something is bouncing off of 2nd gear and bouncing back down to neutral....

Old 10-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: odd 2nd gear, with weird 'fix'

There are a few components that can cause that problem. Worn (stretched) return spring &/or gear shift fork worn.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:23 PM

Hey man, I've been doing this for a long time. And on that bike what happens is when the bike is put under a big load (wheelie and trying to shift from 1st to 2nd) or even powershifting from 1st to 2nd will eventually bend a shift fork, causing the engage dogs on 2nd to round off where the engage to 6th gear on your sprocket shaft. This will cause the bike to hit a false neutral. Most cases you need to get 2nd and 6th gear on that sprocket shaft, along with a shift fork and maybe a shift drum.I doubt you'll need much more than that, but there's always the chance. Most of the time from my experience you won't need any other gears. But if you don't fix it now the bike will be useless and only keep getting worse. On an older CBR wheelies and forcing a 1st gearshiftwill do it every time on those models.
That's what you'll need. Hope it helps out and if I can help just give me a call.
thanx!
Marc

Old 10-09-2007, 08:44 PM

Had the same problem with my first bike, a '82 Yamaha Seca. Never did figure it out, but it was a cheap bike to begin with so i didn't bother to get it fixed. But i just had to hold the shifter up to keep it in gear when i got on it...a pain, but no biggie.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:21 PM

Could be that the shift rod needs to be adjusted if it can be. As you get more mileage and everything wears you may want to try to adjust the rod a little first before you tear into your clutch and tranny.
My old FZR1000 had this problem and I read it was worn shift dogs but I also read somewhere recently it may just need to be adjusted. Not that I have my FZR1000 anymore. The lock nut on the end may have slowly loosened up over the 31000 miles.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:22 PM

yeah, its not that I have to hold the lever up in gear the whole time, just a longer hold when shifting. Before spring comes i may change out the shift forks since I dont have to pull the engine to do it.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:35 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can honestly say this happens to me as well. If I'm wearing shoes, it does it all the time. When I wear my Sidi boots, I hardly ever happens but sometimes. I hate it when you really want to get on it and find yourself bouncing the rev limiter. I'm almost 100% sure than I'm not clicking the shifter hard enough though. The gap between 1 and 2 and larger than the gaps between all the other gears (thanks to neutral being thrown in between). I find that if I click the shifter with a little more force, I don't have that problem.