General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy after oil change

Hey all you CBR experts!

I have a 95 CBR 600 F3, I've only had it a few months and have NO idea when the last time the oil was changed. So I decided to go ahead and give it a change this weekend.

After I got the oil changed, verified the levels, I took off for a ride. After about 10 minutes I noticed a knocking sound that I've never heard before. I pulled over to take a listen, I couldn't pin point anything, so I checked the oil level and it was ok. So, I cautiously rode home and when I got in the garage I listened closely. Here's what I know:

1. It's coming from the right side of the bike. It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from, it sounds kind of like the middle, but I could be wrong.

2. It's only happening after the bike warms up. When it cools off it sounds fine.

3. I'm very attentive to the sights and sounds of my bike and I know it wasn't doing this before the oil change.

4. Bike has 32k miles.

5. No performance loss, rides just like it did before.

So, after some searching here, all roads lead to the CCT, I do believe the original one is on there and I know they are prone to go out, I also read somewhere that the original CCT is controlled by oil pressure.

The question is, would anyone find it odd that it just went out like that? Do they normally slowly go out or just all of a sudden like that? Would there be anything else that I should check given the circumstances?

Thanks for any and all advice you can give!!

DaNo

Old 04-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you checked the oil level, was the bike on the sidestand?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
When you checked the oil level, was the bike on the sidestand?
Nope, it was level

Old 04-26-2010, 09:32 PM

Well that woulda been the easy one. What kind of oil did you use? Specific brand and weight

I'm kinda suspicious of sudden failures like that too. So I always start with what I changed, verify everything I did and then diag from there.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:36 PM

Well that woulda been the easy one. What kind of oil did you use? Specific brand and weight

I'm kinda suspicious of sudden failures like that too. So I always start with what I changed, verify everything I did and then diag from there.
Yeah, that's definitely my worry. I used Valvoline 10-40 motorcycle oil.

Oh and the noise *seems* to disappear over 4k'ish RPMS.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:41 PM

Did you precharge the oil filter? Or did you put it in dry, fill her up, let her idle and then top it off from there?

It's possible that the PO had a different oil in there previously which was 'hiding' the cctl issue. Honestly doesn't sound like you did anything wrong.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:47 PM

Did you precharge the oil filter? Or did you put it in dry, fill her up, let her idle and then top it off from there?

It's possible that the PO had a different oil in there previously which was 'hiding' the cctl issue. Honestly doesn't sound like you did anything wrong.
I didn't pre-charge, and I've checked the oil level a few times since then. It might be a little over full, but not by much. The old oil was definitely pretty darn black so I imagine it's been in there awhile. Given all the symptoms I really think it is the CCT since it looks like that's a really common problem and seems the most likely. Barring anything else funky, I'm going to try to get a new one put in this weekend.