General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No timing marks?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No timing marks?!?

ok - quick question. I have a new to me F2 w/ almost 30k on it. It needs a manual CCT, which I have on the way. In prep for that , I planned on checking valve clearances as part of a full work-thru on the new bike.

When I pulled the Pulser inspection cover, I found that the pulser sprocket on my bike doesn't have the timing marks that the manuals say it should. I dug around on here, but can't find any one else reporting that. I did find a pic of someone else's rotor with the stock marks that I expected, but mine has none of these. Anyone seen this before? Is this going to make the valve check impossible, or just difficult?

Name:  DSC02828.jpg
Views: 5235
Size:  47.7 KB

Old 05-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Nice photo, if I do say so myself. There are marks on the camshaft gears as well. So you shouldn't have any problem checking the clearances. The main objective of following the timing marks is to ensure that when you're taking your measurements, that you measuring the clearance between the base circle of the cam lobe and the lifter.

What does your pulser disk look like ? Take a photo. Maybe someone here will recognize it. Maybe you have an aftermarket one on it.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Nice photo, if I do say so myself. There are marks on the camshaft gears as well. So you shouldn't have any problem checking the clearances. The main objective of following the timing marks is to ensure that when you're taking your measurements, that you measuring the clearance between the base circle of the cam lobe and the lifter.

What does your pulser disk look like ? Take a photo. Maybe someone here will recognize it. Maybe you have an aftermarket one on it.
It is a very pretty photo there Dirt, I couldn't help myself.

Here's the best image I could get of mine - the only markings on mine are a couple of letters - seen at near the 6pm mark, but they look more like a mfg. stamping.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

If you rotate that image 180 degrees and zoom in on it, it looks like it says UP.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:07 PM

It's more like a H . The bike cranks and runs fine as is, so I'm not going to bother with removing the rotor in further investigation. I'm just going to tell myself that someone down the line installed an advanced ignition timing rotor.

I'll line up the marks on the cam gears per the service manual, and then make a mark on the rotor to go by.

Good news was that once I got the gas tank off, I found a K&N already installed in the airbox. I started cleaning and drying it out tonight, will reoil and reinstall tomorrow.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't mean to bring an old thread back, but does anyone have any insight on this because i have the same problem. stupid me..didn't think to mark it before taking it off, yeah i know. but now i can't get timing correctly

Old 03-21-2013, 06:24 PM

Well- the pulse generator rotor is keyed to the crankshaft - so you can only install it one way if I remember correctly. Timing isn't adjustable on our bikes, unless you've got one of those special pulse rotors that are movable.

Are you saying you can't find TDC?

Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 PM

Yeah I had tried to guess, cause I actually saw you suggest it to someone on another thread, and it idles but won't rev or accelerate. So I'm not sure if it is clogged pilot jet or timing.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 PM

Also I just ordered a oem pulse rotor