General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No spark!! Starting 2 dislike this bike!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark!! Starting 2 dislike this bike!!!

OK so I could really use some help here I've run out of patience and begun throwing things around the yard

Here is the rundown:

2002 cbr600 f4i 28000mi
The bike fell over. I picked the bike up and cranked it. Bike idled fine for like 20min. I shut the bike off. I got on the bike to ride the next day and it won't start!!!

1.I have no spark at all 4 cylinders.

2. Battery voltage is slightly above 13v

3. Ignition pulse Generator is within spec

4. Bike is not throwing any codes other than the air box sensors which are unplugged for access to plugs (does not effect ignition system)

5. I don't have a peak voltage tester adapter but when I plug my meter into the Cam pulse Gen plug and try to crank the bike I don't get a reading over .3v (I tested the ignition pulse gen with the same procedure and got a reading of 1.1v which is fine)

6. I traced all wires to sensors, ecm, and coils, and checked for continuity and all seems well i.e. no shorts.

I have the cam pulse Gen UNPLUGGED and the bike still doesn't throw the code for the CPG wtf??

7. I have battery voltage at the coils but it isn't getting the ground signal ( I guess) to fire the plugs

This bike has been nothing but one big electrical problem since I've had it. Last time it fried the ECU and I had to replace it. I'm really hoping this isnt the problem this time.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM

I'm having similar problems, I've got a 2002 f4i as well, 42k kms. Last fall I took it out of the shed and started it up. It ran for maybe 5 mins and shut off on it's own. When I went to restart it, it won't catch. I can keep the starter button held and it'll crank over, but won't seem to run. I don't know what could be the issue, the service manual is making me think it's the ECU. What are the symptoms if this is what actually failed?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:14 PM

How did you fry your last ecu?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check your Tip Sensor, then check your spark plugs after that.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:48 AM

I've changed out the spark plugs, hopin that would fix the prob considering the old ones were kinda rusty. But when i put it all back together it still doesn't start. The tip sensor is definately not the problem cuz when i turn it on the fuel pump primes, and if the tip sensor fails that wouldn't happen.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 AM

Weeelll, the only way to REALLY know if you got a bum ECU is process of elimination. You have to go through and check EVERYTHING else. Sensors, connections, continuity and resistance in wires etc on the system that is not functioning i.e. Ignition, Fuel. I accidently double posted when I started this thread. The other posting goes more indepth on this problem so check it out if you're still having problems with your bike. I haven't fixed mine yet, I ordered a new ECU, main wiring harness and voltage regulator. I'm still waiting on the V/R. Like i said this is the 2nd ECU I've replaced. When I got the bike it had a bum ECU and wouldn't start. I put this one off ebay on and it lasted about 3 rides. Theres something burning these things up and I can't find it so I'm kinda taking a shot in the dark.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 PM

ecu burning out i mean yea they do but 3 .. i dont now about that .. i would mess around with the wires .. if you have no spark ask your self this what gives you spark.. and go from there ..

Old 03-30-2011, 05:14 PM

So i've done a bit of troubleshooting and part changing with my bike and i've finally figured out what my probs (yeah, more than one) were. After i changed the plugs, i took one out and plugged it back into the coil and grounded it to make sure i was getting adequate spark, which i was. I put it all back together, and cranked it over, and it fired up with a bit of coaxing on the throttle. It idled alright, but when i'd give it a quick shot of gas, it'd almost stall out. So i changed out the fuel pressure reg. today, and it fired up beautifully. I didn't even have to touch the throttle. Still seems to idle alright, a little rough, but i'm thinkin its the gas quality since i didn't put stabilizer in it before i stored it.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:37 PM

If everything isn't perfect on these bikes they will run like S#%# or won't even start. Anyway, glad you fixed your bike. O and I think gas has a shelf life of like 6 months or so, not exactly sure, b4 any stabalizer would be needed.