General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No fuel prime, no head lights, not starting... help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fuel prime, no head lights, not starting... help!

I bought my best friends bike a few months ago he has never had any probs before. He has always taking extremely good care of the bike from the day i met him. Recently i repainted the fairings and it seems that is when the problem started.

at first, every now and then, when i used my right turn signal, the bike would stall, and all the lights on the bike will be on, ft and bk turn signals, brake light, both head lights, and on the dash, all but the FI light would be on. the fi would not prime, and when the bike did start, it would kill itself. this was fixed one day by tapping the front with my hand, and then all of a sudden, the fi would prime and all was ok. last week, i was going down the road, used my turn signal, and all went to crap again. i did some trouble shooting, and unplugged my front turn signals, jiggled some stuff around, and it started again. it ran fine the rest of the way home, and all the next day. today was the first day i was going to ride (to work) since thursday, and now it wont even start! No prime, no head lights (at all now) no nothing. it will turn, but it wont start. i have done some reading and the closest thing i have seen was something about a relay that likes to go out under the front fairing, and possible tilt sensor... (not sure if they are one and the same...)

what do you guys think?

btw, I have a '02 F4

Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 PM

did some troubleshooting and all the fuses are good, everything seems in tact. tilt sensor is straight and plugged in... still no fuel prime, and no head lights. the only dash lights on is the solid red light, N, and my brights (although the switch is off, and the lights arent on at all....)

Old 09-08-2009, 11:16 PM

just talked to a honda mech and he said there could be some kind of safety relay that might have gone out. with the symtoms im having, has anyone had any expierence with this? would a bad tilt sensor be the cause?

Old 09-08-2009, 11:51 PM

i read on a forum somewhere that you can test the BAS by undoing the front and with the key on, tilt the front cowl 60*+ and the relay should 'click'. i did this and nothing. is this correct? also, i have been looking for how to try and bypass it for troubleshooting sake, but cant find anything relating to my bike, unless im overlooking it....

Old 09-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can bypass the BAS by jumping the outside wires.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:34 PM

all is good now. i found which wires needed to be touched and ended up resetting something. my problem was with my front harness. i broke down and bought a multimeter and found that i wasnt getting any power at all after the harness connector. but when i jumped the wires on the main harness side, i heard a click and my lights came on. then i jumped the other wht/blk wire and the fuel pump primed! not sure what i did to fix it, only thing i can think of was my jumping the 12v wire to the BAS, it reseted the switch.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:44 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

the bas is actually like a level. most people dont realize this so when they take off the fairings and disconnect this they put it back upside down.. now this can actually go out like any other sensor and sometimes in the main harness wires get touchy and tempermental and some times connectors get coroded. but since you got it running all is good then