General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie to forum and cbr600fs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to forum and cbr600fs

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. Hope I can use everyones knowledge and experience here and share mine too.

I bought my cbr600fs about a month ago. 2001 with 2500miles on the clock. Never seen rain - she's a beauty. But...

There is this rattling noise, which after some investigation, I thought was the cam chain tensioner. It needed an mot anyway and went down my local honda dealer and he had a look at it, took it for a quick spin and said he couldn't hear anything. After two mechanics had a look and listened to it they said that there is no engine noise and therefore the cct must be ok. Concerned as i was i asked again and they reassured me that there is no unusual engine noise. However this rattle noise that i can here persists..... I assume he couldn't hear anything because he was listening for a cct noise, which i am not familiar with, and the rattle noise i am hearing is something different.

You can't hear it when the bike is stationary, it only happens when it's moving. I have taped/cable tied everything down that i can see that could possibly move and cause a rattle noise. (no. plate, pillion seat, rear brake cluster, cable under the fairing, checked under the seat for loose objects, checked the brake pads) I've tensioned the chain properly.....I am at my wits end to what it is... the noise happens still if i am travelling and pull the clutch in and let the revs drop, it happens if i am travelling and apply slight pressure to the brake (so not the caliper/pads rattling)

I have come to the conclusion that it must be wind related, because the noise is consistent, it hasn't got any worse, and starts at around 35mph getting louder up to say 65mph and then there is too much wind noise to hear it any more.

The rattle is hard to describe, I will try...It sounds like a metalic noise, quite hi pitched and reasonable rapid.. It does increase in rattle oscillation and volume with speed, but not engine revs.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE shed some light on this, coz it is doing my head in! Has anyone else had this or has anyone else got any suggestions.

I might at the weekend block the air intake ducts under the front cowl to see if that make a difference (ie prevent air flow), might take the horn off too..i don't know I'm clutching at straws here..

Any way hope you can help....thank you