General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new LED turn signals fast flash so bad its a flicker.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new LED turn signals fast flash so bad its a flicker.

I just installed flush mounts tonight and put in a clear alternitives tail light about a week ago. they are flicking, not blinking, like it almost looks like they are constantly on when you hit the turn signal button on.

i have the resistors that came with the tail light instaled and it flickered after i put that in but i figured that was because my fronts were not on yet, but i put the fronts in and no change in the rear and the fronts flicker as well.

do i need more resistors for the front or did i instale the ones in the tail wrong, or both.

right now i have the wireing in the tail going

wire for turn signal from bike (hot) ------- resistor-------wire for tail light blinker

ground for signal from bike--------

I am asuming the tail signal is grounded through the tail light because there was only one wire for the blinker, so i left the old ground for the signal hanging. do i need to splice the ground into the resistor? like

from bike (hot) ------resistor--l-------signal
l
ground-----------------------l

or woud that just completly bypass the signal in the circut?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Default RE: new LED turn signals fast flash so bad its a flicker.

forget about the resistors, those are not good and can become hot. go to you local auto parts shop and buy a two prones (i dont know the real name, those things at the botom) flicker. replace your stock flicker and use that one .

Old 01-31-2008, 09:52 PM

bull****. they are only on for a few seconds, and have plenty of time to cool off. you can literally hold one in your had for over 30 seconds. lash them to a metal part if you're paranoid.

resistors are wired one wire on positive, one wire on negative.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of bike is it for?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:07 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had resistors on my 06 600RR, and even though they did get hot, it wasn't to the point where I worried about it. I just double-stick taped them to the underside of my subframe in the rear. Same story with Captain Slow's bike. The 2007 models don't require resistors for some reason, but you HAVE to have them if you have a 03-06 600RR. The flasher-relay on the 03-06 isn't removable, so you can't replace it with a variable-load electronic flasher unit (which is what you would need to not use resistors.)

Old 01-31-2008, 10:11 PM

yeah, the get hot but not in an alarming way...
i have a 929 and the flicker was removable, but i didnt know what bike he had.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:38 PM

i have the exact same problem with my front signals... i just put them on about a month ago and i haven't ridden yet cuz its winter and effin cold. But is resistors the answer to the problem.. and should i latch em some how to the frame?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:30 PM

Whatever blows your hair back mauthman.

Blue Fox: The 2007-2008 have the Flasher relay mounted externally thanks (Greatly) to the redesign of the meter. i'm not sure if the flash timer relay uses the same method for timing pulses, but your statement that they do not have issues with LED replacements suggests that it's IC controlled, instead of electrical load based.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Retired Super Moderator

To answer the original question lol---

yes, you installed them wrong. The second option you posted is the correct way to hook them up. However, i'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you probably cut alot of the original ground off since you thought you didn't need it.....so if you did, i would suggest moving the resistors to the front, since you probable used both wires on each side for your flushies. Doesn't matter if they are in the front or the back, they will have the overall same effect.

P.S. I'm gonna agree with knightslugger...i've used the ceramic resistors on my last 2 CBRS, and never had any problems with them...even if i had to sit at a light with my signals on for a few minutes.

-Adam

Old 02-01-2008, 06:11 PM

thank you isolated,

and no didnt cut the ground off thank god, i actually didnt cut and wires that are part of the wireing harness, the orig. signals were cut off after where they plug into the harness so i have plent of wire to play with.

so let me get this right, i conect the signal to the hot wire, then use the resistor to bridge between the hot and the ground wire?

should this solve the problem? or will i need an extra set of resistor in the front as well?

and sorry, i forgot to mention, I have an '03 600rr.

Quick Reply: new LED turn signals fast flash so bad its a flicker.