General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new guy with charging sytem issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy with charging sytem issues

well i thought i would introduce myself. Last year i bought a custom 97 cbr900. When winter rolled around i bought a heated vest from tourmaster which shortly caught fire. Tourmaster has been working with me to get it fixed and pay for the damamge to my bike but ever since then ive had electrical gremlins that wont go away. Ive searched your board and found the necessary test to diagnose the problem and as soon as my battery is fully charged ill do all that.

My questions are about the aftermarket parts on my bike. Its got a single harley headlight and an airride technologies air pump- Two nitrous siliniods control the air system. I know bikes dont have the greatest charging systems So im wondering if these added parts can be the root of my problems.

I also planned on putting a HID buld in the headlight and was told they use less voltage. Can anyone confirm this?

heres a shot of the bike

Old 05-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all... I don't usually like fighters.. but damn thats one sweet looking ride dude!

Far as the charging system, what exactly is your problem or question? I'm gathering that you're having battery discharge issues? Definitely go through the diagnosis and see where that leaves you. The R/R's typically go in the older bikes and if that's the case you might consider an upgrade.

Yes, HIDs draw less power.

As far as the headlight and air pumps being the cause of the drain, it seems quite possible, if not likely. Bikes aren't made to charge the battery like a car as much as they are to maintain the battery level and if you're mixing the extra draw from your equipment with short rides where the charging system hasn't been allowed to catch up you could definitely see it in the form of battery discharging.

You're on the right track. See if your R/R, stator, or battery are all in working order and if they are, you're probably either drawing too much current or not riding long enough to let the charging system recouperate. I wouldn't imagine the headlight draws more than a typical stocker, but from the sounds of it you might have bags on your bike with a pump(s)?? Not sure how this air system works on your bike, but if the pump clicks on periodically to keep up pressure or you're playing with the air system much between riding you could definitely be draining the battery there.

Again, sweet lookin ride! Welcome to the forums.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM

ive got a 25 min commute to and from work every day. The air pump only comes on when i tell it to air up. I used to try and turn the heated vest off 5 min before arriving cause i notcied it would start hard if i didnt. I think alot of my problem is the previous owner wired the light and fan to come on with the ignition switch so they are always on.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:56 AM

I'd just like to point out that you're front brake reservoir is a grenade. That is the best thing i think I've EVER seen on a bike. I'm in the same boat as chuckbear, not usually a fan of the fightered, but that is a sweet bike.

you made mention of the fan and light to come on with the ignition. unless it's different with the older models, the low beams are always on, right?

also, I've read a lot of posts on the HIDs. most seem to say that when the HIDs are in normal mode, they draw significantly less amps than incandescent, but when they are warming up they draw more. There are a ton of bikes out there with them installed, so it *shouldn't* be too big of a deal.

outside of those points I'm under qualified to offer any help. sorry man, you need an electrical engineer.

best of luck

Old 05-28-2009, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by scotzilla
ive got a 25 min commute to and from work every day. The air pump only comes on when i tell it to air up. I used to try and turn the heated vest off 5 min before arriving cause i notcied it would start hard if i didnt. I think alot of my problem is the previous owner wired the light and fan to come on with the ignition switch so they are always on.
Sounds like its not something that would draw much additional power then... any luck with the tests on the charging system?

Old 05-28-2009, 03:12 PM

turns out to be the r/r. I talked to an electrical engineer and he said shorting the battery can reverse the polarity which in turn burns up the diodes that make up the rectifier. I replaced the battery just cause and I would also like to replace the molded insulator plug that plugs into the r/r. My local honda parts dealer couldnt locate one for me

Old 05-28-2009, 03:23 PM

everyone tells me the same thing- "I normally dont like those street fighters but that things awesome" If i ha a dollar for everytime it happened I could afford a newer bike with all the ferrings.

I call it theft recovery cause its probubly build from parted out bikes- Its got a 2003 r6 front fork, 97 cbr frame, interceptor single sided swing arm, 99 cbr motor, ducati seat and a harley headlight.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:02 AM

I had the same problem on mine dude. Damn F3 R/R is weak as hell...

Anyway, I found a cheap $15 replacement for mine from someone on these forums and you can get cheap used ones on Ebay, but you should look into the GSXR swap and decide if its for you. There's some write-ups on here, do a search.

Also, a battery tender is a great thing to look into. You can hook up a quick disconnect that'll hide in your battery box and will help extend the life of your battery.

I had some charging issues when I first got my bike and it drove me absolutely nuts!!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
I had the same problem on mine dude. Damn F3 R/R is weak as hell...

Anyway, I found a cheap $15 replacement for mine from someone on these forums and you can get cheap used ones on Ebay, but you should look into the GSXR swap and decide if its for you. There's some write-ups on here, do a search.

Also, a battery tender is a great thing to look into. You can hook up a quick disconnect that'll hide in your battery box and will help extend the life of your battery.

I had some charging issues when I first got my bike and it drove me absolutely nuts!!
what year gsxr and size r/r fits the 97 cbr900?