General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new chic

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new chic

i was online searching for wiring diagrams for a 2003 CBR 600 RR and came apon this site...i figured this could be more helpful then googling all day.

first question. the fuse that controls the display keeps blowing...where is the best place to start looking for the root of the problem??

question 2. after a long trip i noticed that my signal lights arent working. there not lighting up on the dispaly or the signal lights themselves, but when the bike is first turned on the dispaly shows the lights, so i know there not burnt out. that would be too simple!!

last question. the brake light does not light when the hand brake is pulled but does when the foot pedal is used??

thanks for the help...id like to be able to work on my own bike without have to pay someone to do i for me...atleast this way i feel like ive learned something.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new chic

well, sounds like a short somewhere, maybe a melted wire or so? something is obviously shorting, i would check the tail wiring first. maybe getting two wires crossed mid ride. like say the front brake wire with the signal wires? just not constantly being crossed hence why your lights work before a ride. maybe the vibration or heat is causing circumstances where they meet and short out. is the fuse good BEFORE a ride, then the signals and brake light dont work AFTER riding AND the fuse is blown? or is it just the signals that stop working while riding, and the front brake connection never works? details, details....

Old 09-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the board! Post up some pics of your ride in your gallery when ya get a chance.

Front brake question -- take the two wires loose from the brake switch, turn on the ignition and jumper the wires (use another wire to make contact between the two). If the brake light lights up then it's just a bad switch -- if it doesn't then you've got a break in one of those wires. Most likely it's the switch.

For the other two issues I'd recommend getting the service manual -- it can be found on CD -- check in the 600RR section. I suspect the blinker issue is the flash controller heating up -- probably defective also. As far as the display goes, does the entire display go out? Obviously ya gotta think short somewhere but finding it is going to be a pain. Nose will need to come off and run the wires -- it's possible the short is in the display. By any chance did your bike ever take a swim?

Old 09-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome gr8azz -

It's possible that problems 1 & 2 are related. Have any electrical mods (tailight integrator, power comannder, etc) been made to the bike? Do the signals stop working after the display blows out? If so, I would start there. Electrical gremlins can be a real pain to shake out. I would recommend isolating each potential short. Buy some fuses (because you may pop a few before you find the short) and begin by disconnecting each signal in turn and then activate the signal switch and see what happens. Step on the brake pedal and pull the lever as well so that you can figure out what is causing the short. Note that as you start unplugging signals, the load will decrease on the flasher circuit and the speed of the signals may increase - that's normal. I'd agree with Strechy on number 3, prob a bad switch. Good luck!