General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New CBR600F sump plug falls out just after first service

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 05:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CBR600F sump plug falls out just after first service

New to this and just wondered if anyone could give me some advise.

I have just brought a brand new CBR 600F from a honda dealer 3weeks ago.
It went in for its first serivce last week after 600 miles, with no problems.

The next day i took the bike for a ride on some twisties and doing about 60mph the rear tyre slipped out, I managed to keep the bike upright and pulled over to the side of the road. I cut the engine straight away to find out that the sump plug was missing and underside of the bike and back tyre were covered in oil. It all happened very quick and I don't know if the oil light had come on. The bike had done 45 miles since the service.

Ive been back to the dealer who have measured how much oil was need to file it up (2.75L, 0.8L remaining) they have told me they are satisfied that the bike is still road worthy and have offered me 3 yrs extended warranty and 2 yrs free service and a new back tyre and brake pads.

Ive got doubts about whether i should take the bike back or ask for a replacement. Can anyone give any advise on any possible damage caused to the bike and where i should go from here.

At the moment the bike is with the dealer and i have a demo so can't do any checks of my own.

Any quick responses would be really appreciated as I want to get this sorted.

Thanks

Old 05-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

IMO, since you didn't ride it for a protracted amount of time, and it didn't run completely out of oil that you're fine. I think you're really lucky that you didn't go down. Once the plug came out, the oil would not have lasted long. The fact there was still oil in it, to me indicates you didn't travel far like that.

Now, as to the dealer who did the work, that's another story. Learn to do your own work. Shoddy work is epidemic. Do the work yourself and know it's done right.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Why did the plug fall out? If they just left it loose, let them fix it and keep it. There is nothing wrong with the bike, and it will be fine. They wont give you a new bike, it doesnt work like that. If they ruined the case, thats a different story and you can argue your way to a new bike, probably in a court.

Just remember to be polite. Getting mad will only make things worse.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

What everyone else has said. I don't know if I would want the free service deal from them tho, they are the ones who caused the whole situation.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

everyone makes mistakes. they have lots of good mechanics there too, not just the one that messed things up. at least they are stepping up and admitting fault. i'd go there for servicing, because its free and it will help keep the extra warranty. once you need to pay for it, do it yourself.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Why did the plug fall out? If they just left it loose, let them fix it and keep it. There is nothing wrong with the bike, and it will be fine. They wont give you a new bike, it doesnt work like that. If they ruined the case, thats a different story and you can argue your way to a new bike, probably in a court.

Just remember to be polite. Getting mad will only make things worse.
The plug fell out because, they hadn't torqued it up. I'm sure your right about it only being a stupid one time mistake... it has just left me pretty unconvinced about them.

Just to add i followed the slick of oil back and it started about 600-800m from where i brought the bike to a stop.

Yeah managing to keep polite so far. I was wondering is it worth getting them to do a compression and oil analysis..would that prove if any damage had been done to the rings or bearing surfaces?

Thanks for the advice so far, and I take on board about doing my own servicing. Once it is out of the warranty period I will be. And I will always be checking my bike thoroughly after having work done out by someone else. We live we learn, most of the time the hard way!

Old 05-20-2012, 05:18 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

No point doing a one off oil analysis, they really only work as part of a long term program. All new engines will have high levels of particulates in the oil as they bed in and settle down.

This will taper off over time and settle down once run in. The oil analysis programs look for the point where the particulate level starts to climb again later in life. It's called the bathtub effect because of the shape of the graph of total particle level.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand the dilemna of doing your own work vs the dealer for warranty purposes. My BMW damn near forces me to do so (damn engine service reminders have to be reset by computer).

However, you can still do basic maintences and not affect your warranty. Buy the parts for the services at the dealer, keep the receipts and have them mark your owner's manual as the service being done. Right now the only services you'll be doing is oil changes and minor adjustments (checking chain tension, clutch lever play, ect).

As for the bike, it's fine and good deal on the extra warranty / free service. Obviously you're gonna take advantage of it so just go back with your own torque wrench when they're done