General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bike new problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bike new problems

Ok, so i just bought a 96 f3 and when i bought it the guy said that he rode it the week before but now it dosent run. I knew that was probably BS so i ignored it. So i bought it and started working on it today. I pulled the spark plugs and the carbs and changed all the fluids just to make sure that everything was done properly, so i could enjoy my time on the bike without worry. So after that i went to start the bike and wouldnt u know it dosent run. I am getting a strong batt signal ( had it tested), i am getting good spark ( put NGk iridium plugs in). But it wont turn over and continue running. I am getting maybe a 1-2 sec start out of it but it will not continue running. Should i bring the bike to a shop and have them tune the carbs? anything to check for that i am not looking at? I have given up for the night since i have no light and i tried to start the bike off and on for the past hour. giving myself 30 min in between attempts. any help would be great i will not be able to work on the bike for another 2 days so i am going to recharge the battery until than.

-Jared

Old 03-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually with a dud battery, after a few seconds of "Normal" trying to start, the lights go dim & you get a "Click, Click" from the relay each time you hit the start button.
Putting it on charge for a few days is a good idea. Next, just to be sure, you don't have the kill switch in the "ON" position? Unfortunately a lot of things can cause a bike not to start & its a process of elimination. So start with your start up protocol, On my F3, I only use the choke (fully open), I don't touch the throttle & I don't turn the petrol on till she fires up. Also make sure you got fresh petrol in the tank.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by pacemaker
Usually with a dud battery, after a few seconds of "Normal" trying to start, the lights go dim & you get a "Click, Click" from the relay each time you hit the start button.
Putting it on charge for a few days is a good idea. Next, just to be sure, you don't have the kill switch in the "ON" position? Unfortunately a lot of things can cause a bike not to start & its a process of elimination. So start with your start up protocol, On my F3, I only use the choke (fully open), I don't touch the throttle & I don't turn the petrol on till she fires up. Also make sure you got fresh petrol in the tank.

well i will surely try it again! and will not touch the throttle this time. Its funny you would say check your startup. i originally had the peacock valve closed from working on the bike. and didnt notice it till the 4th try . but anyway i will drain the fuel and give it a go tomm. thanks for your response.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:45 AM

definately check your startup procedure as pacemaker suggested. Also, the battery will need to be fully charged. these bikes require a fast crank in order to start properly. If you notice the bike starting to crank over slower, stop and let the battery recharge, or you could end up flooding the bike.

Also, Im not trying to be a smart, but did you have the choke engaged?

the other thing, is the carbs will take some time to fill up if they were empty to start with. Since you had them off, you might not have enough gas in all of the carbs. Also, make sure you connected the carbs correctly back into the boots and they are secure.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
definately check your startup procedure as pacemaker suggested. Also, the battery will need to be fully charged. these bikes require a fast crank in order to start properly. If you notice the bike starting to crank over slower, stop and let the battery recharge, or you could end up flooding the bike.

Also, Im not trying to be a smart, but did you have the choke engaged?

the other thing, is the carbs will take some time to fill up if they were empty to start with. Since you had them off, you might not have enough gas in all of the carbs. Also, make sure you connected the carbs correctly back into the boots and they are secure.
no offense taken i have done it before and i am sure that i will do it again. but no the choke is off. and i will be trying it again in a few.

-Jared

Old 03-16-2010, 04:23 PM

Check the F3 manual, and make sure your vacuum lines are hooked up correctly and the clamps are nice and tight on them. How does your exhaust smell when she tries to run for 1-2 seconds? Does it backfire any (while running, or while trying to start)? Is there wet fluid coming out the muffler? Those symptoms will tell you if you are getting too much gas. Also, check your fuel filter, and make sure it isnt clogged (they are cheap to replace also).

As the people up above me were saying, check your start up procedure, i take it you've ridden bikes before, and if you had a carb'ed bike, you will know that each bike is like a personality. they each like to be started their own exact particular way (with/without choke, throttle, fuel petcock on/off etc...)

Old 03-17-2010, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by intiractive
Check the F3 manual, and make sure your vacuum lines are hooked up correctly and the clamps are nice and tight on them. How does your exhaust smell when she tries to run for 1-2 seconds? Does it backfire any (while running, or while trying to start)? Is there wet fluid coming out the muffler? Those symptoms will tell you if you are getting too much gas. Also, check your fuel filter, and make sure it isnt clogged (they are cheap to replace also).

As the people up above me were saying, check your start up procedure, i take it you've ridden bikes before, and if you had a carb'ed bike, you will know that each bike is like a personality. they each like to be started their own exact particular way (with/without choke, throttle, fuel petcock on/off etc...)
Ok, i checked the exhaust and it smells like fuel but just a little not like it is dumping a ton in there but that may be the problem it may need a new fuel filter, which i will do tomm. And yes it is backfireing. No wet fluid is comming out of the muffler. And i started messing with the different startup methods and i seem to get more of a start when the choke is on. Hope that this helps a little i will be filming a vid soon so u can see what it is that i am talking about in detail.

-Jared

Old 03-17-2010, 04:38 PM

Thank you all!!!! She is running!!!! Now i just have to get the idler adjusted cuz it wont stay running unless i hold on the throttle. and i have to tighten up the chain it is rubbing. are there any writeups on how to do so? I am new to the forum and navigating it is kinda tough since there are so many places it can be. any help would be great!

thanks again for all of your input

-Jared

Old 03-18-2010, 04:58 PM

what did you end up finding wrong with the bike?

Old 03-19-2010, 03:31 AM

yes, please share what you did to make it work. It's important for all of use to learn from these experiences

Quick Reply: New Bike new problems