General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need voltage to gain tps and rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 05:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need voltage to gain tps and rpm (f4i)

so I'm going to start data logging probably today in a more efficient manner.. (using one program to gather info rather than going through the ECU and o2, taking videos of my screen etc..).

Anyways.. The innovate SSI-4 allows for multiple 0-5 Volt connections. Obviously I already have the A/F, but now I need to gather the TPS and RPM. These need hardwired so the PCM type harnesses aren't really where I want to tap into.

So can I get a good reading by merely tapping into the TPS directly (0-5V) then calibrating 0-100% throttle. Where to tap the RPM though.. I'm assuming it goes off the firing rate but what to hookup to?

I have more 0-5V connections available.. anyone know anything else beneficial.. DUTY cycle will only let me know the capabilities of the fuel injectors.. but beyond that though.. um?

Last edited by DJPlayer; 09-17-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For your rpm, I would try to use the same source the factory uses. Tends to confuse things less. Well, thats when data logging autos. Sometimes you can grab the tps signal from the sensor directly and like you said, calibrate 0-100%. The main thing you need to be careful of there, is are you going to pull too much from the sensor causing irradic readings. Duty cycle isnt a bad thing to know, if your modifiying things. Reason being, you don't want injectors running at 95-100% all the time, itll burn them out. Not sure which bike you have and if it has it, but, taking this for what its worth, on vehicles I try to capture spark, rpm, duty cycle, tps, afr, and map info. That usually lets me know where my mods are and exactly where in the rpm range and under what load, things are happening.
Are you data logging for programming changes or just info?

Old 09-20-2013, 06:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gtcole
For your rpm, I would try to use the same source the factory uses. Tends to confuse things less. Well, thats when data logging autos. Sometimes you can grab the tps signal from the sensor directly and like you said, calibrate 0-100%. The main thing you need to be careful of there, is are you going to pull too much from the sensor causing irradic readings. Duty cycle isnt a bad thing to know, if your modifiying things. Reason being, you don't want injectors running at 95-100% all the time, itll burn them out. Not sure which bike you have and if it has it, but, taking this for what its worth, on vehicles I try to capture spark, rpm, duty cycle, tps, afr, and map info. That usually lets me know where my mods are and exactly where in the rpm range and under what load, things are happening.
Are you data logging for programming changes or just info?
I'm logging to tune.. The more data will let me know when, how and why the bike is running a certain way.

I've diagrammed everything out on how I'm going about.. at least I've set everything up w/ 2 scenarios. The big one is where I want to do this.. do I want to tap the wire right off the sensor? The wire off way further down the line? Or tape it right before the ECU (which would probably look like a clustering mess).

What I did was go through manual and color code and mark the location of each position and negative for each sensor.. I did the speed sensor, cam pull (for rpms) and tps. I definitely need tps and rpm. Speed may held me determine the change in a/f at different speeds because of speed the air rams in.

A couple things throw me.. and one is the fact that I use the same ground as the sensor uses.. I suppose this is there's no voltage difference in grounds. But a solid ground.. should be a solid ground regardless.

When all is said and done.. I hope to be running 12.8 -13.2 anytime i'm above 20% throttle. Anything below I'll call cruise and have closer to 13.7 -14.0.

I may need a dyno in the future then to determine the difference between a solid 12.8 and 13.2. I've seen people tune the f4i to 12.93.. to 13.2 to 12.8 etc.. My theory is that it should be 12.8 during the build up and probably even the base point of your next gear.. and then move to 13.2. But again.. this needs to be tested.

When all is said and done I should have a pile of freaking data.. I've also noticed that nobodies bikes are identical.. all those prefab maps are usually pretty far off. If you're going to get an aftermarket ECU.. you need it tuned.