General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help possible stator!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help possible stator!!

I'm having some issues w my 93 900rr. I was riding one day and hit a stop sign and it died. I checked batt. and was totally dead. bought new batt. put it in bike, and bike ran aprox. 20min. and died. totally charged batt again. put it back in bike and overnight it went from 13v to 0.0v. totally wierd. charged again and bike only ran for aprox. 3 blocks and batt was dead again. is that a short in the stator... and i'm unfamiler w where that is located(duh i know, but just bought bike not familar w it) if anyone can help please do. I love that bike and don't want to spend a fortune trying to diagnose it thru a dealer... thanks.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:16 PM

the stator is under the circular thing on the left side (you'll probably need to remove the left side fairing along with the circular cap to get to the actual stator)
it's either a short in the wiring from the stator to the battery or the stator itself is totally fried.
could also be the R/R
search the forum for service manuals, they're very helpful
good luck with your bike =)

Old 09-20-2009, 07:50 AM

Just went through something similar with my 98. http://www.offwidth.co.uk/bike/gener...lt_finding.pdf is very helpful in diagnose your problem. It will take you step by step to figure out what your problem is.

The stator is (as stated before) the round case on the left of your bike - it is a ring of magnets bolted in there. It has a wiring harness that (at least in my 98) connected under the rear side of the gas tank. You need to remove the seat and remove the gas tank to test it out.

The RR should be somewhere on the right side of the frame near the rear of the bike.

As a side note - if it is your stator - you will probably have oil leaking out. You can tip the bike to the right to minimize this...but it shouldn't be an issue. Seems that takes people by surprise -- it did me!!