General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need expert advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need expert advise

Hello. I have a 2000 cbr 929rr. I've looked Thu the posts and found a few things but nothing to help me.
Bike has been sitting for a year. Just bought all new parts including tank, rr, stator, and new plugs.
Bike won't start. Needs to keep throttle open and to be jumped off the truck battery. Once stared needs to keep rev up unless it will die. Bike also blows white smoke.
All advise is welcome. Thanks

Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 PM

Is it white smoke? or just condensation when you first start it?

If its white smoke, it usually means you are burning coolant. Pull your plugs and look at the electrodes. If they are white, or one is white, you have a coolant leak somewhere. Cracked block, head or bad head gasket. if you are buring coolant, it would definately be hard to keep running.

If its just condensation, which at times can look pretty thick and white (basically steam) until the bike warms up fully, you may have some other issues.

First thing I would do is get the battery load tested. It sounds like your battery is bad and could be causing a lot of your issues. remember, these bikes run off the battery, not the charging system like a car. If your battery is bad, the bike won't run correctly. And if you had to change the RR, chances are pretty good the battery was getting overloaded and probably has a few dead or shorted cells.

If that checks out, you can look into the fuel system such as a bad FPR.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Battery is junk. Have it charged and tested. Probably need a new one.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:29 PM

Had the battery just changed. Plugs are not white. Just started it for a sec and gas came out the exhaust. It wants to start. Popping coming out but no starting. Cranks but won't turn on

Old 05-27-2012, 10:35 PM

Had the battery just changed. Plugs are not white. Just started it for a sec and gas came out the exhaust. It wants to start. Popping coming out but no starting. Cranks but won't turn on

Old 05-28-2012, 01:37 AM

If you actually have raw gas coming out of the exhaust, then your bike is flooded, which means the plugs are fouled and it won't start with fouled plugs. You may need a new set of plugs, or pull the plugs you have and dry them out. You may be able to save them by drying them out. But these plugs don't do well once fouled.

I would then check your fuel pressure regulator. It sounds like it might be bad and allowing too much gas past the injectors.

You may have to post some history of the bike. Such as accidents, when it started to act this way... ect. Any information can help others point you in the right direction.