General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle remote start

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle remote start

Hello peoples.

Just wondering If anyone could shead some light on the installation of a motorcycle alarm.

Before anyone asks yes I have used the search button and all I can find is complicated drawings and people talking about ECM's and solenoids and to be honest guys this is the first time I have touched anything electrical so I really dont have a clue.

I was just wondering If anyone knew specifically which wire to connect to where as there are a few very clever guys here and I know some of you guys have already done it.

Please pass on the knowledge so I can share with my fellow motorcyclist in the future :P Thanks guys

Oh and btw, here is an installation manual and an attatched image of the wires I need ( I know this is probable self explanitory but for example, I hooked the yellow/red to the yellow/red on the bike and before i connected it I tried to remote start and it didnt work, but when it was connected it cranked the bike but didnt start up). I know you guys could probable easily do it with the help of one of these but im useless at electrics HAWK X-50 MOTORCYCLE ALARM INSTALL MANUAL

Also I should add that the wires availible are:
Red: battery + (done)
Green: Battery - (done)
Orange: Indicator + (should connect to orange wire) done this)
Light Blue: other side indicator + (should connect to light blue)done this)
Yellow/Red: Remote start (should connect to yellow/red) NOT done this)
White/black: 1 side of engine cut off (connect to one side of a cut black wire) NOT done this)
Black/White: other side of cut off (connect to other side of cut black wire) Not done this
Black/Red: Ignition Positive (should connect to a black wire) NOT done this)

I've added as much detail on here as I can because I dont want you guys thinking i'm just trying to get you to do it all for me. I am genuinly stuck, and when I went to the motorcycle garage around here I asked 'could you install a motorcycle alarm?' and the answer I got was 'I can try'

And you know I'm not paying for somone to give it a go as I can do that, so you can basically guess what I said next...

ANYWAY guys, sorry for boring you all haha but thanks in advance,
Tom.

Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle remote start-s7000920.jpg  

Last edited by woodypk; 03-12-2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: added detail
Old 03-13-2011, 09:20 AM

wheres Kuroshio for this one, he'd be a good one to talk to.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:37 PM

Yeh I sent him a PM but havent got a reply.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:38 PM

Are you installing the entire system? or just the alarm?

It looks like all you need is to install the black/red and your wired up for the basic alarm. Just find a wire that is 12v with the ignition on, and nothing when the ignition is off and you should be all set for the basic install.

Your going to need a multi-meter to finish the job. You will have to find a 12v hot from the ignition. Well, at least a 12v source that turns hot with the ignition on. Just be careful to make sure its 12v. This is why you need a multi-meter and not just a test light.

I will say those have to be some of the most complete and well written instructions I have ever seen with an electrical component. The company definately took their time with those instructions. Usually you just get a wiring diagram and thats it. You may just be over thinking it. Just take a breather and go back over the instructions again.

But maybe PM Kuroshio if has experience with type of thing. He may have some valuable input.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking at a wiring schematic for a F4i - you're lucky that this Hawk system appears to be made to match Honda CBR wiring colors - which is SUPER abnormal in the aftermarket electronics world. Makes this unit a definite buy for CBR owners.

I have a lot of years in the car audio/security world - lemme help you out here.

1st off - your notes seem to be 100% correct on wire colors.

alarm/starterkill/remote start systems need to be broken down into those 3 components in mind with installing them.

the basics - power to the alarm, and connecting the flashing lights - you already have this done, and it sounds like everything appears to function correctly. Well done!

all other connections need to be made to the harness/wires that come out of the Right handlebar - find this wiring harness for all other connections.

Next lets tackle the immobilization/starterkill circuit. You could actually skip this if you wanted, it has no bearing on the remote start. this is to make it harder for a thief to hotwire the bike. the circuit you are going to use is basically rendering the Run/Stop switch on the handlebar inoperative whenever the alarm is armed. this is what the installation manual calls the "starter switch method" on page 14.

In the harness from the run/stop switch - locate the black wire and cut it - connect the Hawk's white/black to the end coming from the handlebar, and black/white to the other end.

edit: - realized I needed to change the installtion order before the starterkill/immobilization circuit would operate:

Next - the Black/Red wire on the Hawk- here I have a discrepancy with the Hawk Manual - on page 5 the "common wiring diagram" says the black/red should connect to a black wire on a Honda. (they're referencing the same black wire you already cut for the immobilization circuit above) On your bike that would require the Run/stop switch to be in the "run" position for the remote starter to work. If you're like me - I leave that switch on the "Stop" position whenever I'm not on the bike, which would cause a problem. Instead - you have a black/red wire in the factory harness, which is 12V+ all the time when the ignition switch is on, regardless of starter button operation. This is what you want. Splice the Black/Red on the Hawk to the Black/red in the wiring harness (like the yellow/red in the previous step, you want to leave the factory circuit connected - you're just splicing into the wiring).

Now you should not be able to start the bike while the alarm is armed, even with the key in the ignition.

Next is the remote starter - again - I think you have already done this, and made it crank the bike, just not start. that was because you didn't have the Black/Red wire on the Hawk hooked up at that point. The Yellow/red wire on the hawk should be spliced into the Yellow/red wire in the factory wiring. this leaves the factory wire intact. Test that the remote start procedure now cranks the bike over again. If so - you're good to go.

That should have you ready to go!!

Too bad this would be useless on older bikes like mine that need choke applied when cold to crank, or I'd be looking into one.

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 03-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 AM

Thanks adrenalnjunky. Thats really helpful. The only problem iI have is when I find lots of wires of the same colour in the same location and then I dont know which one to use. Thanks for your info though it is really helpful.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 AM

Just another thing adrenalnjunky, When you say black/red wire in the wiring harness. Where is the wiring harness located on the bike and what does it look like? Sorry im such a noob at this, But the only way I will learn is to ask questions :P

Old 10-16-2011, 09:13 PM

i installed remote start on my bike n love it u have to energizethe pink wire to see 7 volts n e thing over 7 volts will fry ur diode n the ignition...use a voltage regulator to do this....n ur pink wire is at tha bcm meter that wire n u will see it reads 7 volts.n yes i do this stuff for a living.....

Old 10-16-2011, 09:18 PM

I made it just for this thread... HA!

Last edited by Trey929RR; 10-17-2011 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Added picture..
Old 10-17-2011, 08:22 AM

HA!