600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Remote start

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start

New to the forum just wondering if anyone has ever installed a remote start on their bike. I do car stereo and alarm stuff for a living and am in the middle of installing one on my bike (04 cbr600f4i) and just can't seem to get it to fire up. I know, I know. It is pointless to put a remote start on a bike but I think the idea is cool. As far as I can tell everything is powering the same with the remote start as it does with the key but no power. Any ideas would be great. Expecially from you tech guys.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Default RE: Remote start

ITs not a good idea at all. You will have to bypass the kickstand sensor also. It will suck in the long run for those simple mistakes. BEcause if you leave it in gear or whatever the case maybe, and you go to start it, your bike is going to crash without you on it. You will have to bypass the kickstand sensor like I said, the gear selector, and possibly the kill switch.

JMO, Its not a good idea.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:46 AM

Try posting on the12volt.com. Better source.

Should be a way to integrate as you would a remote start on a manual transmission. Of course, those ignorant to remote starts think the only way to do it on a car is to bypass the clutch switch. Any good alarm manufacturer (so that would eliminate DEI) makes a module for it. Check someone like Compustar or Astroflex.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:46 AM

that's the gayest idea i've ever heard of. go ride that bike as is and save the money for some tires.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:50 AM

Don't be a dick.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:02 PM

that would be cool...exept for the fact that some one can jump on your ride and take off...

Old 03-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Banned

Would the headlight be a problem or would that have to be on a separate manual switch or would the key switch only work for the light? or would you only be able to start the bike from the remote? then if you could only start from the remote, why even have a key? would the key only be used to lock the forks??? would the key be only for the lights?? would the remote do it all??? Would the key be used at all???? what if the bike starts when you are inside the house and don't hear it, then all of a sudden it runs for two days and runs out of gas then the battery goes dead? What if your remotebattery goes dead when you are out on it and the key doesn't work no more?

I personally think that remote starting a bike (or car)is kinda dopey (unless you are worried about hidden bombs), but if it makes you happy then I am all for it. Good luck

Old 03-06-2007, 03:09 AM

There are a lot of safeties on a remote start. I have one on my work truck, and have installed several. It could be done on a bike, though it would take some adapting.

The key is still necessary. The remote start times out after a pre-set time period. The key being turned to the "RUN" position basically turns off the remote start and allows the bike to keep running as it should. Usually a remote start will turn off after 15 minutes. Also, with a good remote, you have to press and hold the button (or two) for it to start. Not like locking or unlocking the doors on your car.

Finally, they are set up so that if you press the brake or clutch, without the key in the run position, it will kill the vehicle so that it can't be taken.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:10 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: james007torres24

that would be cool...exept for the fact that some one can jump on your ride and take off...
No, that's not how remote starts work. In a car, it's still locked. If someone does manage to get in, the engine cuts out when put into drive (and the fact you still need the key).

As for the bike, it could be a number of things, even a mercury tip sensor. The second the bike is either put in gear, brake's pulled in, or stood upward, the engine cuts out (and alarm goes off). Not to mention, you still need the key.

Also, there is no need to bypass any kickstand switch or sensor. If the bike is in gear, it won't start. If you park it on level ground and leave it in neutral, then the bike would start.

I thought of this briefly when I first got the bike due to the fact that you have to wait for it to warm up. Now, I'm just used to it. Would be a cool thing to have though.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:39 AM

Honestly... I kinda want one too... just to impress the ladies. LoL. Yes, I do ride hard also, but nothing's wrong with a few eye catchy stuff right?

I have a remote start on my car, and want one on my bike. BUT... the hassle and the amount of labor the shops quoted me to install it is just too much. Also, I'm used to parking my bike in neutral, so starting it in gear by accident won't be a problem. However, everytime I go to a party or something, there's always a girl or someone sitting on my bike, so i'm not sure if they put it into gear or not. Don't wanna start it up and watch it fly and crash.

But if I could install it on my own, and if I didn't already have a scorpio alarm, I would definitely do it just for fun.

Quick Reply: Remote start