General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mix and match tires, a no no? help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mix and match tires, a no no? help please

Hey guys, got a problem hahahah. My brother needed a rear tire more than me so i popped him my rear metz.m1. Not a problem, right? well, there is now. He rides an 06 kawi 636. The front tire is a 120/65. I tried to order a 120/65 front m1 and I was promptly told those are no longer kept in stock and have been discontinued, so here starts my dilemna.

Would it be ok to lever on a Metz. M3 front pairing it with his M1 rear? I dont really see a problem as the only difference (to my novice eyes at least) are a change in tread pattern/materials... ie the profile is very similar.

thanks for any help, as I said I dont foresee a problem but I want to make sure before I send my brother hurtling down the road on a bad mix.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:48 PM
Default RE: Mix and match tires, a no no? help please

Less than optimal, but i don't seeing it as being dangerous by any means. I'd do it if in a pinch.

I'd imagine that it's more about tire profiles working together than tread patterns (not to say that it doesn't matter...it does...but not a HUGE issue if you're just talking about riding down the road). And a slightly harder or stickier tire shouldn't really bother you unless you start going hard in the twisties, where you might notice some strange behavior...but even then i wouldn't put it on my outright dangerous list of things to do.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:41 AM

for everyday riding it should be ok... onlyif you are not going to be doing knee scrapping corners.....

The only thing I would recommend is try to get the equivelant compound for the other tyre..and also try not to have a newer tyre on the rear....As I have been told that it is better to have a older rear, than new on rear and old on the front.....

Its better to have new tyres alround! but if its not an option due to cash? than more grip on the front.....that way the rear will give before the front if pushing into a corner...

Old 07-22-2007, 02:22 PM

alright should be good then. thanks for the info guys, its very helpfull. take care

Old 07-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Banned

Chances are beyond great that you/they/most peoplewould even notice the difference between having matching and non-matching tires.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

Chances are beyond great that you/they/most peoplewould even notice the difference between having matching and non-matching tires.
+1 I had an M1 on the rear and a dunlop whatever on the front of my F2, and I rode the **** out of that thing. I got a 30/70 % on what was right. 30 Percent sdaid who gives a ****, and the other 70 were undecided.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 07-23-2007, 07:01 PM

Maybe if they had matched he could have avoidedthe rabbit...

Old 07-23-2007, 11:18 PM

hkahahahahahah.... maybe if it wasnt a kawi and had the 120/65, we wouldnt of had any of the problems, including the rabbit hahaha.

I like that pic still ssgt

Old 07-24-2007, 01:10 AM

I'm an opportunist. I work at a dealership so when a wrecked bike that's going to be totalledcomes in with the same size tires as mine, I promptly swap tires with an old, worn out set lying around the shop and take the newer tires home. So far I've had Pirello Diablos front & rear (from factory), Diablo front / Dunlop Sportmax rear,Michelin Pilot Powerfront / Pilot Power rear, and coming next week will be Pilot Power front / Sportmax rear. The only major difference I've noticed so far is that the Diablo rear lasted around 4K miles & the other two lasted around 5.5k a piece. I think I've spent a total of around $100 for three rear tires and two fronts. I still like the Diablo grip, though.