General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milky oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milky oil

Hi guys, i have a cbr600f 1994. i have replaced the complete engine. i bought it complete used. anyway off with mine, on on with the used one, bit of a struggle on your own, with just a jack and rear paddock stands but i got it on. Checked the oil and there was oil in it, like fresh and clean, started up no problem, bit of smoke and white smoke too but i expected this if the unit had been stood for a while, switched off and let cool down, topped up coolant and started up again, no problem and no smoke at all. Left overnight and started today first time sounds mint and still no smoke, oil stick still has milky substance! is this condensation from being stood ? not took it on the road yet, but like i say sounds really sweet, steady tickover and no missing at high revs, any advice please.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 AM

I would change the oil and filter to be on the safe side. Start it again and let it warm up to operating temperature. I wouldn't assume the worst just yet.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have too much oil in the motor it could be the crank dipping into the oil and whipping some froth up causing what you're seeing. Oil should be checked without screwing the dipstick in - just insert it until it touches the top of the engine casing then pull it back out.

If you think you have coolant in the oil, Have you checked the coolant for oil too?

could be a headgasket, could be the oil cooler o -rings.
We just had a long discussion about the oil cooler rings in the F2 forums. It's a pretty simple fix.

Go through this thread, and don't pay attention to the people that didn't realize the F2/F3 have an oil cooler that is totally immersed in coolant - which is why the oil and coolant can mix if the o-rings are old and dried out or deformed.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...-124428/page3/

Old 06-07-2011, 12:46 PM
MZ5

Good advice about what/where to check. Just be warned: Coolant in the oil will destroy a motor QUICK. Get it out of there, and keep it out.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:28 AM
Default milky oil

Hi guys thanks for your input, i don,t suspect the head gasket, i thinking maybe overfilled or maybe condensation. I,m thinking that the engine may have been on its side or fell over at some point in its journey to me. The oil is ok its just that there is this milky deposit on the dipstick at the top and around the hole. I will change the oil and filter and see if that cures it

Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Condensation does form in the oil. Top of my dipstick had a small amount of residue, but riding the bike (good ride) & bringing it up to temp will burn this moisture away.
Most people are not usually aware that this is happening in their motors, but short distances will most certainly form a deposit of moisture. Same for the acidic condensed water vapor that forms in your exhaust & for the same reason.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by pacemaker
Condensation does form in the oil. Top of my dipstick had a small amount of residue, but riding the bike (good ride) & bringing it up to temp will burn this moisture away.
Most people are not usually aware that this is happening in their motors, but short distances will most certainly form a deposit of moisture. Same for the acidic condensed water vapor that forms in your exhaust & for the same reason.
Yes thats what i was thinking, i have had cars in the past that had this issue, you would take off the cap to top up with oil and you would have the same thing, but would just top up and off i would go without a problem, the early fords and vauxhalls use to call it mayonaise. Just checked the oil this morn and was clean just a bit round the top of thread on the black cap of stick, no coolant loss and also clean no oil in it. seems very much like condensation plus bike starts fine no white smoke at all. Think i,m just being a bit over cautious, but if it saves my bike then gotta be a good thing