General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lube her on up

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lube her on up

So I have two bikes. A CBR and a CRF. When me and a buddy bought our CRF's it was the first bike I have ever owned. So it was also the first bike I have worked on myself. When it came to lubing up my chain we used PJ-1. I hate that crap. It gets thrown everywhere. Even with small amounts. So I talked to a few people and they recommended Dumon tech (spelling?). So Ibought a bottle and love it. Does not fling like the PJ-1 (Does a little bit though), keeps the chain lubed welland its way easy to clean off. So I decided to use it for my CBR. Well I lubed up my chain, walked the bike around in the parking lot to get itdispersed evenly, let it sitfor a bitso theexcess would drip off. Then cleaned it up. Well I went out for a short jaunt and when I got back and looked down at my reartire there was lube on theleft side. So my question is, How do you keep the lube off your tire? Im not using to much. And willthat little bit of lube cause a low side?

Old 05-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lube her on up

probably not cause a low side, but will get your bunghole to pucker up.

use belray chain wax...no fling.

are you sure what's on the tire isn't from overspray?

Old 05-03-2007, 03:57 PM

Overspray? The lube comes in a squeeze bottle with a nipple top. So itsbeing flung from the chain and sprocket. How does chain wax work?

Old 05-03-2007, 04:52 PM

Do you have a chain gaurd? I just put a new chain on this past weekend and forgot to put the guard back on and the lube went everyehere

Old 05-03-2007, 05:16 PM

I've got a chain guard but mine spits on my swingarm...that could also be becuase i know i put excessive amounts on, at times...

Old 05-03-2007, 05:31 PM

wax pretty much works the same as lube. some would question about how well it actually lubes but i have had no issues whatsoever. i started with honda lube, then noticed some fling, not too much but some, so went with belray. never used anything else again. prior to it i did try motorex and some other brands...motorex lube is more of a wheel/swingarm lube i think cause that's where it stayed! hahahaha

Old 05-03-2007, 05:50 PM

Yeah Ive got the chain guard on there. I made sure to put it back on. Its not a whole bunch that gets on the tire, but enough. Would letting it sit for a day work better (let it drip off more)? Maybe I should try the wax next time. Do I have to strip the lube on the chain off before applying the wax? Or just go over the old?

Old 05-03-2007, 06:20 PM

you can do either, like seal it in right? it does work but i'm not sure of the byproduct or ill effects of mixing the 2...like mixing it creates a super duper low pH that east the rings, etc.

after i clean the chain i ride the bike until the chain gets hot and then spray the wax on so that it gets into where it's supposed to get. when i lazy i just cake it on dry. once the chain heats it, the wax will get to where it's supposed to go anyway.

i used to use honda spray and then coated with the wax...but i think that's overkill thesedays, where my time with my kid is more important. but once he's old enough to do chores, he'll be cleaning my chain! hahahahahha

Old 05-03-2007, 07:49 PM

"Quote"i used to use honda spray and then coated with the wax...but i think that's overkill thesedays, where my time with my kid is more important. but once he's old enough to do chores, he'll be cleaning my chain! hahahahahha
Are you kidding i can't even get my kid to clean her room,nevermind my bike.....

Old 05-03-2007, 08:29 PM

you can't even get the quote function to work! hahaha j/k...

one can hope and wish right?