General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering an '05 600RR - 2 options

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering an '05 600RR - 2 options

I know everyone has an opinion on whether or not lowering the bike is a good idea. I've officially driven myself crazy reading all the points of view...BUT, my 'technical' question is: Is it true that for a 2005 CBR 600RR, lowering links are only 1" or 3" options?

Old 07-23-2010, 05:29 PM

those are probably the most common. I think they make infinate adjustable ones as well, where you simply turn a threaded shaft, and you can pick the range you want to fall into. Just a heads up, a lot of the links that say 1 inch and 3 inch drop, actually drop about 1.5 inches, and a little over 3 inches.

Are you looking at something between those numbers? or outside that range?

Old 07-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Default And when it says 1" or 3", is that REALLY felt at the seat height or just the rear?

It's unbelievable to me how even the honda dealership here seems ignorant on what my options are, so thanks for the input. In a perfect world i'd lower it a couple inches, so...1.5 might work. i don't think i'd be flat footed, but i could manage for sure. I've never dropped the bike or anything, but i just don't feel as confident on it as i do on my other bike. but that's apples and oranges 'cause it's more of a cruiser.
Do you think i should NOT buy the Vortex link (#LL222) myself, then take it to an 'expert' ?

Old 07-24-2010, 10:15 AM

And when it says 1" or 3", is that REALLY felt at the seat height or just the rear?
Its usually a little more at the seat, especially if you lower the front as well. A 1-1.5 inch drop in the rear and a 3/4 inch drop up front will lower the bike considerably. about a 3/4 drop in the front is as far you want to go. If your tip toeing it right now, you will be nearly flat footed with a 1.5 inch drop.

I would buy the link and do it yourself. Its not that hard, and if you have even a little mechanical ability, you shouldn't have any issues. All you need to do is find a way to suspend the rear of the bike, usually by supporting the bike from the passenger pegs. You only have to hold up the rear of bike from coming down onto the rear wheel when the stock links are removed. Or, a set of friends hold each side of the bike. Having a rear stand will help a lot too if you have one.

Also, keep in mind, the lower you go with bike, the harder you have to set the suspension to prevent it from bottoming out. So you want to lower the bike enough to be comfortable, but keep it as high as you can for suspension travel and ground clearance.

and don't forget about having to cut down the kickstand as well.

here is the adjustable link I was talking about. Ideally, it would be the best one to get since you can exactly where you feel the most comfortable, and just just living something that may not be what you want. Its a bit pricey, but if you had planned having the other style link installed, this would still be cheaper if you do it yourself.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CBR-6...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by justasquid; 07-24-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:14 PM

noosebaum - just fyi, at a 2" drop on my bike I am still not flat footed, but I do think that a 1.5" drop would still do wonders to your confidence level. I'm pretty sure our bikes have different clearance levels to begin with, but at least it gives you an idea. I hope everything works out for you.