General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighting question - swapping highbeam to lowbean & vice versa

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting question - swapping highbeam to lowbean & vice versa

I really like the double headlight look.

I have an 03 954 and the regular running light is the one in the front middle. High beams are the two lights on either side of front light housing. I'm sure with the right knowledge it would be possible to swap them over but I don't currently have that knowledge.

Just to make sure I have explained myself correctly, I would like to turn my current lowbeam headlight into my highbeam and then make my currenty highbeam lights into the low beam.

I know that this does nothing for performance and could be a pain but I really would like to make it happen. If anyone does chime in with procedures...please understand I am in no way knowledgeable with the currently wiring of the headlights or with electrical stuff in general. I mean, I know basics on how to strip a wire and what a fuse is but not much more. I am pretty good at following instructions though so the more detailed you can be the better.

thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

They are all the same bulbs, just aimed differently. You could try to adjust the high beams down and the low beam up, but i dont think you will have enough adjustment without modifying the headlight bucket.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think this will work. The globes are designed to throw light different distances.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:03 AM

I hadn't even thought about the reflective globes.

However, I could take out all the bulbs one night and then check to see what a "highbeam" bulb looks like in the proper highbeam socket compared to what the "lowbeam" bulb looks like and vice versa. If beams provide adequate light then I will continue on to try and make the modification. I can't imagine that it would be way too different.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

There's a mod for dual low beams on another forum I saw when I was researching this idea to do on mine.

The main part of the mod is on the high beam side when it is switched to low it passes through a resistor that dims the light output to about 30-40% of full power. When switched to high beam it bypasses the resistor. Although the two sides don't match exactly it looks pretty darn close in the pics, even though the high beam reflector is aimed differently.

I'll hunt down the link to the mod if you're interested.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
There's a mod for dual low beams on another forum I saw when I was researching this idea to do on mine.

The main part of the mod is on the high beam side when it is switched to low it passes through a resistor that dims the light output to about 30-40% of full power. When switched to high beam it bypasses the resistor. Although the two sides don't match exactly it looks pretty darn close in the pics, even though the high beam reflector is aimed differently.

I'll hunt down the link to the mod if you're interested.
I'm 100% interested in checking out that mod. I don't know if it is exaclty what I'm looking for but it could be an option. I'm looking to completly flip flop the current light set up. Current high beams would turn into the regular low beam running lights and the current low beam light would turn into the high beam.

In my limited understanding of wiring I would think that I could:
cut wires to both current high beam lights. Cap off one side and rewire the other side to the single low beam daily running light. Then take the wires that previously were attached to the low beam light...splice another set into them and wire back up to both of the previous highbeam lights. At this point I don't know what would happen though. Maybe the bike explodes, maybe everything just works.

thanks for the help

Old 06-13-2012, 11:53 PM

Have you considered installing HID bi-xenon projectors? that would turn your headlights into dual functioning so you would have both high and low beams on the same bulb. The kits have come down in price considerably. You could even go as far as installing 3 bi-xenon projectors and have all three dual functioning. Or, just have the outter two dual functioning and have your stock center bulb come on with the high beams. But with so many deer where I ride, I like to see at night the best I can, so I would go with all 3 projectors. It would certainly give the bike more of a euro look. The nice thing here is each projector only draws 35 watts compared to the stock bulb draw of 55 watts.

This would accomplish a great look while providing amazing light output at night. Also, with the cut offs of the projectors, you won't be blinding oncoming traffic with your low beams on.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by cycle.tim
I'm 100% interested in checking out that mod.
Here are links to several dual headlight mods:

Dual Headlights With Write Up

How-To Dual Headlight