General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Jacket Vs Non-leather Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:57 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Leather would be great but more costly $$$. Mesh & textile must have armor + back protector. Make sure armor fit snugly, or else it won't do it's job. Under armor boxers /sliders will be a plus too.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hikeetech
That quote was printed off and placed it above the hanger where I keep my jacket. I used to ride without a jacket, then after I dropped my bike, I swear to God I will never ride without wearing a jacket!!!! (I also keep the motorcycle key in the jacket pocket, so no jacket, no go)

Old 08-31-2011, 04:07 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've purchase the icon field vest + armor trousers + knee & elbow armor. I wear it underneath any jacket and pant works great. But if you add up all the cost total, will equals to the cost of leather
jacket. Some people just cannot wear leather??? Though leather is best for abrasion protection during accident when you slide on pavement, but how about impact collision? When vehicle rear end you? Thats when back protector & knee/elbow armor comes into play.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by estate4life
I've purchase the icon field vest + armor trousers + knee & elbow armor. I wear it underneath any jacket and pant works great. But if you add up all the cost total, will equals to the cost of leather jacket. Some people just cannot wear leather??? Though leather is best for abrasion protection during accident when you slide on pavement, but how about impact collision? When vehicle rear end you? Thats when back protector & knee/elbow armor comes into play.
A good quality leather jacket will always provide more protection than textile. A quality leather jacket will have CE armor...shoulder, elbow, & forearm, protection. Many come w/ back protector. If they don't, one can be added easily. You can accessorize w/ items like the Icon armor vest but the leather jacket will always be the better base from which to do this.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over the time I've ridden bikes, had all sorts of jackets, even had a Belstaff jacket there for a few years. I always go for leather for distance rides, mine has removable armour (back, elbows & arms), Leather if taken care of will last for many years. The downside for leather is that its not water proof, but a waterproof over jacket doesn't take up to much space (that is if you remember to take it with you on your ride). Leather breathes & is comfortable. In saying that, I also have a 2 Textile jackets, 1 with a removable thermal liner (both with kevlar) & 1 being a summer jacket). There is always heaps more pockets & places to put stuff in textile jackets, their waterproof, have way to much velcro, have nice reflective strips & can bake you like a Sunday roast on a hot day.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the link to my jacket:
Ignitor Textile Jacket - FXR Racing
What you guys think?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Question

Looks nice, but I don't see any mention of armor.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:43 PM

Oops! The page you requested was not found. If this is an error with our site, please contact us, otherwise head on over to our sitemap to find what you are looking for!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:23 PM

apparently they just updated their website, and they no longer carry my jacket. If you are still curious, here is the link from another website, my jacket is called ignitor.

FXR Jackets!

Old 09-02-2011, 06:36 PM

I watched a vid on youtube ( may have been TV ) regarding the leather vs textile pros and cons. There was a guy on that show who made 1 piece suits who basically said they provide similar impact protection but a leather item will last multiple slides rather than 1 for a textile garment.

The more interesting part was when he mentioned leather garments have a tendency to slide if a rider comes off, whereas the heavy textile outer layer grips the surface resulting in the rider rolling and increases the chances of bone fractures and breaks.

Quick Reply: Leather Jacket Vs Non-leather Jacket