General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Jacket Vs Non-leather Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Jacket Vs Non-leather Jacket

Hi all,

I am not sure if there is already a similar thread somewhere on the forum, or this topic should be placed in another section. If so, mods are welcome to do so.

I had this discussion with a buddy of mine the other day and he was insisted that, as the most important riding gear, a leather jacket is better than a non-leather jacket (incl. Kevlar, Nylon and all non-leather jacket).

I am a new rider and currently own a textile jacket, with shoulder,elbow pads but no back protector. I am not sure what material the jacket is made of. Feels like heavy Nylon or something. It has ignite across the chest area, and I think its 'ftx' brand or something I don't remember at this very moment. Anyway, I am considering investing some money for a good leather jacket in the future. I was wondering if you guys can give me a 101 on why leather jacket is better than non-leather ones.

Thank you all in advance.

Lance

Last edited by hikeetech; 08-31-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:25 AM

Much of the riding kit out today is very good and has lots of protetion as well as being waterproof. Leather is still the best as far as I'm concerned, but it is a personal choice in the end. Racers wear leather one-piece suits, so I guess that if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for us!

Originally Posted by hikeetech
Hi all,

I am not sure if there is already a similar thread somewhere on the forum, or this topic should be placed in another section. If so, mods are welcome to do so.

I had this discussion with a buddy of mine the other day and he was insisted that, as the most important riding gear, a leather jacket is better than a non-leather jacket (incl. Kevlar, Nylon and all non-leather jacket).

I am a new rider and currently own a textile jacket, with shoulder,elbow pads but no back protector. I am not sure what material the jacket is made of. Feels like heavy Nylon or something. It has ignite across the chest area, and I think its 'ftx' brand or something I don't remember at this very moment. Anyway, I am considering investing some money for a good leather jacket in the future. I was wondering if you guys can give me a 101 on why leather jacket is better than non-leather ones.

Thank you all in advance.

Lance

Old 08-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leather will give you the best abrasion protection, and will usually last for multiple crashes. A good quality textile jacket will do its job in most situations, but will sacrifice itself to protect your skin, and need to be replaced.

For street riding I wear perforated leather jacket in summer, an Aerostich Darien textile jacket the other three (or at least 2.5) seasons, and one-piece leather for the track.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:39 AM

+1 to both of these. Leather will hold up better, longer and afford better protection if crashing, from weather/debris (rocks, pebbles, grasshoppers, rainbows). Another reason to purchase a leather one is I saw you are from Ontario, eh. I am sure the weather is cooler longer than it is warmer. This could be another selling point with a leather jacket with removable liner/perforated leather (as munson said).

Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 AM

good tips guys, since its my first season riding, I dont really know how my textile jacket is going to hold up in the next month or two. I don't feel cold riding as yet, but who knows, we could get snow in Oct. I probably need to put away my bike in the igloo soon My only concern is my current jacket doesnt have a back protector, it does have the compartment for it however. so I was debating either I should get a back protector or just a new leather jacket. I can't imagine wearing a leather jacket in the months of June and July tho. Also, how important is it to have a back protector in a jacket? Personally I think it's a must.

Another question, I don't get it why ppl ride choppers or harleys don't wear the proper riding gears? No offense, but to me, a vest says "harley davidson" on it is not going to protect you in a crash.

Last edited by hikeetech; 08-31-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 AM

About the leather, one of the Mods or something a little quote that says like "I can wipe sweat away, road rash doesn't" I prefer leather or perforated leather if I am riding. When I ride to work I wear mesh (3 minute ride), but other than that I wear Leather. Back protector, I have no idea about, but I would tend to believe it is important. I don't want to say MOST important but important.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Track day sponsors always insist on a hard back protector - not that little piece of foam that comes in most jackets.

On the other hand, I read a study that found that very few back injuries from street riding are a result of impacts to the back. Rather, they are usually caused by a blow to the shoulders or hips that then violently twists the spine.

Probably better safe than sorry, but a back protector isn't at the top of my gear list. I always smile to myself when I see these kids in my neighborhood riding around on their stunna bikes with crash cages and 12 o'clock bars, wearing back and chest armor, but short sleeved shirts, sneakers, and no gloves.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trey929RR
About the leather, one of the Mods or something a little quote that says like "I can wipe sweat away, road rash doesn't"
Well, at least I know one person is observant. ;-) Yep, see my sig-line in red.

All very good tips given. Abrasion Resistance is the main thing to keep in your head about protection.

I have a few leather jackets. I also have a Joe Rocket Honda textile jacket w/ full CE protection. I really only wear my JR for in town short trips when its extremely hot. I won't wear it for twisty rides. Most all of the time, I'm wearing leather.

My Alpinestars jacket has the waist-zipper to attach to Alpinestars track pants - making it a 2pc suit, which is also acceptable at the track w/ the addition of an individual back protector.

Speaking of back protectors, there are many choices. If you feel that you want a back protector to be safer, then by all means get yourself one & use it. It can only help. I wear my back protector for twisty rides...its a Spidi Back Warrior. It has shoulder & waste straps. Its easy to put on & take off. Some of the back protectors are available w/o straps, such that they can be put into your jacket/suit.

Further on protection, a good pair of boots w/ ankle protection are a must.

Motorcycle gear is like many other things in life...you get what you pay for. If you buy quality, you'll get quality results.

Last edited by gotcbr; 08-31-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-31-2011, 01:21 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I started off with textile jacket but now I am always wearing leather jacket. Since I am in Hawaii, both jackets (2) are perforated leather. I do sweat but I sweat just helmet on too. While riding, it is not hot. Just when I come to stop in traffic. I will not go back to textile

Old 08-31-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Well, at least I know one person is observant. ;-) Yep, see my sig-line in red.
That quote was printed off and placed it above the hanger where I keep my jacket. I used to ride without a jacket, then after I dropped my bike, I swear to God I will never ride without wearing a jacket!!!! (I also keep the motorcycle key in the jacket pocket, so no jacket, no go)

Quick Reply: Leather Jacket Vs Non-leather Jacket