General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JVC everio HDD Problems while mounted on motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JVC everio HDD Problems while mounted on motorcycle

I just purchased a camera mount and tested it out this weekend. The mount works great, no problems at all. But the camera is acting very strange. I constantly get an error saying "camera temperature too low" and it wont record anything. If I park the bike and start the camera I don't get any errors, the camera turns on and seems to function properly. However, as soon as I start riding maybe 20 seconds down the road, I get a hard disk recording/playback error and the camera stays on. ie. I can see the road through the view screen, but the camera will not allow me to record. Once I shut the camera off and on, it says it must do a file restore. And this cycle just keeps going on over and over. Has anyone had an experience similar to this? If so, what did you do to resolve it? Could it be possible that hard disk cameras just wont work on motorcycles? I could get an SD card and record to that if it would help. Well thanks in advance, and I hope someone can help me !![sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Default RE: JVC everio HDD Problems while mounted on motorcycle

Could easily be too much vibration for the HD to function properly.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:36 PM

Thats what I figured as vibrations are a HD's worst enemy second only to magnets. Am I up **** creek? Or do you think an SD card might solve the problem?

Well I just ordered one so I guess its time to wait and see.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:27 PM

It's not the vibration...its a failsafe. Harddrives have metal components...which will contract under extreme cooling(flying down the road)...so if your camera drops below operating temp...it shuts off...also...ever notice how when something in a room...runs below room temp...it gets condensation on it? You DONT want that in your camera...failsafes...thats all

Old 08-04-2008, 02:01 PM

Lonewolf - So am I basically screwed using a hard disk camera on my bike? or do you think the SD card could circumvent the issue?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:39 PM

SD might circumvent the problem, I don't know really cause the sensors could be built into the camera or built into only the hard drive. Either way some electronics are built with accelerometers to detect if they've been dropped. And a motorcycle can set those off.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lonewolfcbr

It's not the vibration...its a failsafe. Harddrives have metal components...which will contract under extreme cooling(flying down the road)...so if your camera drops below operating temp...it shuts off...also...ever notice how when something in a room...runs below room temp...it gets condensation on it? You DONT want that in your camera...failsafes...thats all
WTFH???

its the vibrations. Smack the side of your PC real hard n see if it doesnt lock up.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

ORIGINAL: lonewolfcbr

WTFH???

its the vibrations. Smack the side of your PC real hard n see if it doesnt lock up.
+1 on the bull**** excuse. What do the people who overclock with liquid nitrogen do? A SDcard will do the trick since theres no moving parts inside.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:10 PM

Thanks alot. I will let you all know how the SD card works. Once again thanks for all the help.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 PM

vibes= good way to fry hard drive. after thermite and cigarette smoke.

Quick Reply: JVC everio HDD Problems while mounted on motorcycle