General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle screw cause no start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle screw cause no start?

After 4 1/2 LONG weeks of waiting, I finally got my bike back from the shop. I had just changed the oil before I took it in, and I had to drain/run out all the gas since he was going to be welding on the frame.
Now I can't get it to start. []The starter and the motor turn, and it will fire for about a second, but I can't get it to stay running. What are my possible issues here? I just had the carbs cleaned and synched at the beginning of this season, but could the carbs be gummed? The entire time the bike was being worked on (4.5 weeks) it wasn't started at all. Battery is good and charged fully.
Or does the idle adjustment screw have anything to do with it getting fuel to start?
I'm at a total loss here, and very frustrated because I just want to ride! Please any advice??!!

Old 09-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Default RE: Idle screw cause no start?

It will start but will die when you let it idle? Will it stay running if you give it gas?

Old 09-08-2007, 12:08 AM

I can't get it to stay running. It fires for a split second, and dies. I'm pretty sure it's not a fuel problem because I can smell gas when I sniff the exhaust pipe. Well, at least I think that means it's getting gas?...

Old 09-08-2007, 01:20 AM

check to see if your idle adjustment is even attached to anything. The same thing happend to my bike and the cause was the adjustment screw got unscrewed all the way. and i Screwed that puppy back in and it started up after a push start. And make sure your gas is full! I thought i had enough gas in my bike after i screwed it in and it kept on dieing, but then i filled it up and its been running ever since.. so heres a check list for ya.

1. Fill tank with gas.
2. Push start in second gear.
3. Make sure the idle adjustment is even screwed in.

Try those and come back brothha!

Old 09-11-2007, 05:25 PM

hey i have the same problem and found out my idle adjust is completely discconnected, where does it go? I cant seem to find where to screw it to?

PLEASE HELP thanks!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:14 PM

there is a place to screw it in bwtween the middle carbs. you really wouldnt know where it was unless you have taken your carbs off and looked at them. you might be able to find it. If you say you smell gas out of your exhaust, does it smell like unburnt gas? if so you might have flooded your engine from trying to start it. The only thing to really do is let it sit, or try to burn it off with starting fluid. but i recommend just letting it sit.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:50 PM

Removing the adjustment screw shouldn't keep it from starting. I'd let it sit, then put the choke on and try to fire. Maybe the welder hit a wire with some spark and shorted or burned it?

Old 09-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Well from person exp. I know for a fact that removing the idle adjustment screw will make the bike not start. When you screw it out your putting less and less gas into the carbs, wich drops the rpms to an eventual stop. So when you unscrew the adjuster your cutting off the gas going to the carbs, thus no start! My bike ran perfect until i pulled it out, then i found where it went and put it back in and it ran perfect again! Exact same senario.

ORIGINAL: rockdicasbah

hey i have the same problem and found out my idle adjust is completely discconnected, where does it go? I cant seem to find where to screw it to?

PLEASE HELP thanks!

Hey I can help you brotha! I too was on your end, and came to the forums and did not recieve much help, because this suprisngly dosnt hapeen much. But since it happend to me i can help u! When i scrwed it back in i took the tank, airbox, and carbs out out of frustration just to find out where that peice of crap goes. But all you need to do is take off the side and back fairings and you will be able to do this.!

This screws into a little nipple hanging down between the 2nd and 3rd carb. If you are sitting on the bike the carbs go from left to right as 1234.
The nipple is silver, and hangs down on the top of the 3rd pointing down. Behind this nipple you will see a lever and a few pullys. Just screw it up right into that nipple. Its easier with 2 pairs of hands, but when i did it i had my right hand down holding it in place, and the left hand screwing the **** and it screwed right up there!

Hope i helped!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:55 PM

i have a 1998 cbr 600 f3 and it hasnt been able to start and i started playing with the throttle stop i came loose..
i can see where its sitting but i can get to it, What do i need to take off the bike to get to the throttle stop and install it again.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:02 PM

ok i managed to put in the throttle stop and my bike actually tries to start now but i'll i hear is my exhaust pop. what the hell is going on with my bike anyone help me out.