General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to sync Carbs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to sync Carbs?

I think i have a general idea of how to do it. I just can not seem to locate the tool I need to do this project. If anyone knows of where i can buy the gauge to sync my carbs I would very much appreciate a link to it. Thanks. Also if anyone has done this could you give me some pointers for my 95 cbr f3? Also i was told i needed to rebuild the carbs? How do i go about doing so, what all do i need to buy? Thanks

Old 12-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Default RE: How to sync Carbs?

i just got an 88cbr 600 and i neeed front fork seals and when i give it full throttle it studders and has no power....the kid i bought it from told me that me rebuilt them and jetted them but im not sure how 2 adjust them...if any info hit me back up

Old 12-10-2007, 10:33 PM

CoreyAkaOpie- Search the web for "manometer"....you can make one fairly cheap.

I'm lazy so I bought a Morgan CarbTune instead. It does the trick.

Motion Pro sells a real sweet carb adjuster. Very hi-quality, IMO. Has all the bits you'll need.....I think it's the "D" bit that's used for Honda???

Old 12-11-2007, 06:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For "rebuilding" the carbs, you will need to get the O-ring kits for your carbs. Bike-Bandit schematics should be able to help there. Make sure you get 4 kits (one for each carb), not just one! Be careful with the needle valve. Don't get the Carb Spray on anything that is rubber. It will break it down. There's instructions (link) written by "therabbit" in the forums How-To section on cleaning out the carbs. I highly recommend taking the extra step of removing the 2 jets in each carb and running a very fine wire through all the openings. Don't forget to run the wire through the one jet that is not removable. Some would just say run Seafoam through it. I have no experience with that and don't know how well seafoam works if the jets are especially gummed up. I personally prefer having the satisfaction of manually cleaning them out.

TOOLS
Motion Pro has everything you really need for syncing the carbs: [ul][*]SyncPro Carb Tuner (link) - This is their new non-mercury synching tool. Works really well and you can store it on the side, unlike the mecury version. It works really well, but make sure you store it inside the house during the winter to prevent freezing.[*]Auxiliary tank for non-fuel injected (link) and for fuel injected (link) - This isn't absolutely necessary, but will make your life a lot easier. I actually ended up using some duck tape and the vent hose to hook up the valve to the fuel line.[*]Basic instructions for syncing can be found in the service manual (link) and the instuctions that come with the SyncPro Carb Tuner.[/ul]After you sync the carbs, you should adjust the idle screws. [ul][*]90 degree, 1/4" Hex driver (link) - This contains all the bits you really should need. The "D" bit, as noted by bergs can be used on the Honda's. I personally found it annoying because I couldn't tell if the bit was all the way on the screwhead. Since I already dremelled a slot into the head of the bit, I used the flat blade version. It has 16 positive stops which makes it really easy to tell if how many times you turned the screw.[*]Tachometer with 50 RPM increments (Actron CP7677 Automotive TroubleShooter link) - You can pick up the Actron CP7677 Automotive TroubleShooter in Autozone. Basically it's a multimeter that measures RPM down to 10 RPM. I have pics on where to hook this up on an F2.[*]Detailed instructions for adjusting the pilot screws can be found in the service manual (link).[/ul]

Old 12-11-2007, 03:03 PM

Just for anyone's info and/or for anyone thinking of doing this with mercury sticks and no training or expert supervision:

When you suck a bunch of mercury into your carbs/jets/valves/ and engine, you are deeply screwed.

Best to learn from a pro, take a course, rather than try this on your own first time out.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:29 PM

ORIGINAL: bmg velocity

Just for anyone's info and/or for anyone thinking of doing this with mercury sticks and no training or expert supervision:

When you suck a bunch of mercury into your carbs/jets/valves/ and engine, you are deeply screwed.

+1138

Old 12-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the reason why Motion Pro discontinued the mercury version. Plus the fact that it is toxic. The fluid in the new ones are pretty safe.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: woo545

Probably the reason why Motion Pro discontinued the mercury version. Plus the fact that it is toxic. The fluid in the new ones are pretty safe.
Yeah..well been since 1996 or so since I synched any carbs so I am not exactly hip to the latest tools and such.

Motion Pro 'eh?

Old 01-31-2010, 04:02 PM

Ok, I have bought the morgan carb tune as I have read and seen its a great bit of kit..

I have a CBR 600 FL 1990

Just need to make sure my exhaust is not blowing tomorrow then will be attempting to sync the carbs..

I have a manual and it says the vacum take off points are located at the top of the carbs..

I cant find these? Also the adjustment screws - are they the one by the springs that move when the throttle is opened?

Cheers

Last edited by w00dzy; 01-31-2010 at 04:08 PM.