General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you change your oil???

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Default RE: How often do you change your oil???

Thank you kindly [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 11-11-2004, 07:28 PM

s**t!! i was never aware of synthetics not being good on low mileage bikes. i bought my bike used from a dealer and i told them to do the service before i receive the bike. they asked me if i wanted dino oil or synthetic, and i promptly said synthetic because i thought it's better. but they did NOT enlighten me about it being a bad idea and it kind of pisses me off now. i thought after the breakin period(600 miles on my bike), it would be ok to run synthetic. oh well, can't turn back time and make it different. i guess i'll have to live with it, but thanks for the tip man! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you'll be alright -- synthetic oil basically just means that you have virtually no "wierd chains" in the oil. Dino oil graded as 30wt has carbon chains of a particular type that make it flow like it's supposed to. But it also has the odd chain or two that are not correct. These odd chains get burned up or mashed in the tranny. The burned up ones cause some sort of acid to build up that is a bad thing. Synthetics are basically just oil with no odd chains floating around. This means no burning crap, less acid stuff and longer life.

If my explanation seems over simplified, it is. That's because I'm a bear of little brain and that's how the dude explained it to me. And it made sense. So if it is not correct, then I'll ride in ignorant bliss. My last motor never saw dino oil after it left the dealer. 30K miles later (with turbo for 20K) and valves and rings perfect. Inside of the motor actually looked like the pics in the manual -- ya know, the ones that show a "clean" engine.

Old 11-11-2004, 11:41 PM

i try to change mine every 4500 miles. i use MOTUL but just about any motorcycle specific oil will do fine.

Old 11-15-2004, 01:10 AM

ok cool, thanks a lot man. i've just always been a firm believer in synthetics, so i'm gonna stick with it. but what you said did make sense, so thank you. what bike did you have a turbo on? busa?

Old 11-15-2004, 09:55 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Ya, turbo was on '01 Busa. A real beasty. Only time the power was really usable was in 5th or 6th. Everywhere else you had to be careful.

Old 11-19-2004, 01:03 AM

phew, a turbo busa, damn! i can only imagine that kind of power, must have been incredible. sorry to hassle you, but do you have any pics of it?

Old 11-20-2004, 06:57 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

GPS (yellow thing) electronic boost and fuel pressure gauge on reservoirs

Dump Pipe

Old 11-20-2004, 07:53 PM

Nice!!!!!!!!!!! [sm=tongue.gif]
cheers on the bike[sm=icon_cheers.gif] did you do all the work?

Nipz~

Quick Reply: How often do you change your oil???