CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   How often do you change your oil??? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/how-often-do-you-change-your-oil-158/)

Dragon 11-09-2004 11:46 AM

How often do you change your oil???

I was just wondering how often you change your oil on your bike? Cuz I know that no one goes by the book...[sm=icon_flaming.gif]

Baldman 11-09-2004 11:58 AM

RE: How often do you change your oil???

Every day, I dont want it to get stale. :D

I use Amsoil synthetic and change my oil between 8-10k = mostly highway driving, with some city/twisties in-between. When using DINO oils, I changed it around 4-5k max. Use a quality filter/oil and your bike will thank you for many years.

P.S. All oils are not created equal

chainstretcher 11-09-2004 12:55 PM

I change oil and filter every 3000 miles -- maybe overkill but I've got way over 100,000 miles on bikes with no engine malfunctions. I know of several people who follow the book and also have no problems but they don't ride as much as I do. My bike is my daily driver with the Jeep used for snow days or when I feel icky. It's gotta be reliable so I change the oil often.

Baldman's correct -- all oils are not created equal. I use Mobil1 -- Amsoil is also good. I found a chart on another site that rated oils -- I'll post it here if I can find it again.

RTmotive 11-09-2004 12:57 PM

well i just did my 600-mile service about a month ago, so i can't speak much on when to change oil. but like Baldman said, synthetics are the way to go, especially with our bike being able to rev so high.

Baldman 11-09-2004 01:25 PM

NOTE: DO NOT convert to synthetics until you have AT LEAST 4k miles on the engine. You can listen to this word of advice or choose to take the risk of your rings not seating properly. I am not all-knowing, or omnipotent, but this is a word of caution I have learned to heed over the many articles/tests I have read. You can always research for yourself and make your own decision, as this is Bush's world. :D

NeonspeedRT 11-09-2004 02:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Baldman
NOTE: DO NOT convert to synthetics until you have AT LEAST 4k miles on the engine. You can listen to this word of advice or choose to take the risk of your rings not seating properly. I am not all-knowing, or omnipotent, but this is a word of caution I have learned to heed over the many articles/tests I have read. You can always research for yourself and make your own decision, as this is Bush's world. :D
He is entirely correct. In most vehicles you have to have around 1000 or more miles before the manafacture reccomends switching to synthetic. That lets the rings seat and everything get broken in properly.

I change mine around every 5000 miles or so. If i'm riding hard and alot, I might do it at 3000. Otherwise i'll let it go till around 5000. With synthetic oil it's not as necessary to do it as often as most manafactures reccomend.

sirlimpzalot 11-09-2004 02:00 PM

MAKE SURE YOU USE A 'MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC" OIL !!!
The motorcycle oils are formulated to handle the unique loads since the motorcycle uses the oil for the pistons, clutch, and transmission..If you use a car oil it may not be able to handle the sheering effects from the clutch and the transmission, causing premature breakdown of the oil and less protection. Motorcycle oils do usually cost more for this reason than car oils.
I have used all sorts of brands and I dont have a preference from one to the other..but if you use a synthetic you can go alittle longer between oil changes since it lasts a little longer and the transmission might shift just a touch smoother. The downside to synthetics is if you have a clutch that is slipping, it might be exaggerated by a synthetic oil and this type of oil can "sweat" past seals a little easier in some cases..it is rare but I have seen it.

Dragon 11-09-2004 02:08 PM

Well there is a lot of info here....I like to find something I like, then stick with it...So i am looking for a good oil....I just hit my 2000 mark.....

Baldman 11-09-2004 02:31 PM

If anyone cares to read it, here is the technical/testing info on Amsoil Moto-specific, synthetic. There is even a testing comparison to Mobil-1: HERE

NeonspeedRT 11-09-2004 05:03 PM

Here is a good link I borrowed from sportbikes.ws that tells you anything and everything you wanted to know about oil, but were afraid to ask. http://www.micapeak.com/bike/ST1300/Oils1.html