General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long before switching to synthetic on new?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long before switching to synthetic on new?

Have searched a little bit, but was wondering recent opinions...what is the proper amount of mileage before switching to synthetic so it will break in and seat correctly? I am at .3 miles til it warms up and then will probably change at around 400-500 miles the first time, ok then or wait longer?

Old 12-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Default RE: How long before switching to synthetic on new?

You'll get alot of personal preference here... so I'll give you mine. I would say switch to full synth. after your first REGULAR oil change. Aka, the first service (regular oil), then next/first "normal" oil change (again, regular oil), then full syth. after that. Just my opinion. (That's based on just talk from several other people... doing regular oil changes as schedualed by honda, using the type and grade of oil won't hurt anything... and I've heard a few people state that full synth is "too slick to allow the engine to break in and seat properly". *shrugs* No idea if that's true or not... but I DO know that full syth oil kicks the crap out of normal oil. It's, again, all opinion... but that made sense to me.)

Old 12-18-2007, 05:53 PM

I have heard the same thing about full syn so I switched to semi syn on my first oil change.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:34 PM

I switched around 3000 miles to full synthetic. Much better, ran smother and gears felt smother when shifting.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Banned

My dealership said about 7500 miles switch, seemed high. Probably the smartest way to go is to track down thirdgenlxi maintenance schedules and follow that rather than do any unnessecary thinking on own own.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:00 PM

I race my bike thus the reason for changing earlier. Semi Syn is what most of the race team's here use.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I switched mine to full syn at 5000 miles, after doing I think 3 oil changes with conventional oil (600, 1500, 2500, then 5000 switched). I don't think there's really any politically correct answer to this question... though I would say probably anytime is fine as long as you're through the break-in period with the conventoinal oil, but still would do several oil changes with dino oil first and then switch. My $0.02... not saying I'm right or wrong

Old 12-18-2007, 11:12 PM

Awesome, thanks for all the updates. Was able to take my bike out for the first time tonight after getting all my mods on and it warming up past freezing, only went a couple miles before I got chilled and brought it back. Yeah, synthetic rocks nothing is better, just want to make sure the seating happens. I will be safe and change at 500 with regular honda oil again, then kick over to the good synthetics, and let the rompin begin!!! Ohhh how I have missed being on an f series honda, nothing better!

Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 PM

I changed my oil at 500 and used semi synthetic till 2000 or 2500 dont remember which but I switched to amsoil full synthetic then. I didnt notice any difference in shifting or anything like that but w/e it cant hurt it so thats what I use now.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say take it to the BITOG forum (www.bobistheoilguy.com).
it's better to change later than too early.
there was a WRX a local mech was working on. the dude wanted to use synthetic very badly...so he stuck it in after 1000 miles. after 40K, they tore the engine apart to beef up...guess what? the engine looked brand new...great eh? as in like it was never broken in.

moral of the story...synthetics work very well ;-)

Quick Reply: How long before switching to synthetic on new?