General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Important is Sprocket Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Important is Sprocket Alignment?

How close to being evenly lined up do the sprockets have to be before it becomes a problem? I use the marks for the chain adjustment and noticed that even 1/4 turn on the adjustment bolt moves the tire assembly a good bit, yet it's barely noticable at the adjustment marks. Between both sides they could be 1/2 turn off or more with the chain set to proper tension, throwing the sprockets out of alignment. Any tools or tricks I don't know about?

Old 08-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can measure the distance from the rear axle to the pivot bolt in the swingarm on both sides to see if there is equal distance.

There is also this: Chain Alignment Tool

Old 08-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Sprocket alignment is certainly important. You make some good points that you can make some subtle adjustments like a quarter of a turn and not see much movement in the axle with relation to the markers. Along with sprocket alignment is rear wheel alignment. They both go hand in hand. Small movements in the adjusters can make a sizeable change in the alignment of the wheel. There is a proceedure for using some simple string to align the rear wheel, which will also properly align the sprocket.

One of the things to look for if you suspect that your sprockets are not aligned properly is a greater amount of wear on one side of the sprocket teeth or sprocket itself. If one side of the sprocket is shiny or more worn, then you probably have an alignment issue.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:06 PM

feel lucky you dont have to do 4 wheel alignments on cars lol. least a bike is essentially only dealing with the toe... i have to do camber caster and toe on 4 wheels :P

insanely important to be aligned. aside from it possibly slinging a chain off..(which i presume never ends well) tire wear will be uneven along with the rear wheel trying to steer the bike in one direction.

i think you could get a pretty close bead on it by measuring the distance between the front of the rear tire/ inner lip of the rim and the swing arm..(might just go with the rim since tires suffer damage and wear)...make sure its straight up on a stand, rotate 1/3 turn and measure again, then the final 3rd. i mean its not going to be exact but i dont think anything other than an alignment machine will be exact and even those give you +/- 1 degree or so deviations. by measing that far away from the centerline of the axel youll have a greater chance on seeing the subtle changes on the adjusters...

this is just a theory honestly...but thats how i'd do it.

Last edited by Sean80; 08-14-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:10 PM

I saw a video where Dave Moss from Sportbike Wrench stick a shop rag or allen wrench between the top of the rear sprocket and bottom of the chain. Then he spun the rear wheel backwards and then tighten the axle. Does this method work for tighten and aligning the chain/sprocket?

Heres a link to the video http://sportbikewrench.com/howtovideos.aspx and the title is How to Remove and Install Wheels. Where he uses this method its about 11mins into the video.

Moses

Old 08-18-2010, 09:12 PM

No comments on tighting your chain this way?

Moses

Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 PM

actually i was thinking how im goin to do this over winter because ima need new tires. seams like a harmless but effective way to do it.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No comments on tighting your chain this way?
Yeah, I'll comment. I didn't see your post before.

All putting something in the sprocket does is force the rear wheel forward against the adjuster.
It doesn't align anything or tighten your chain, or do anything except put the wheel back where it was before you took it off.
If you change the adjusters, a rag/screwdriver in the sprocket won't do anything but push the axle against a misaligned adjuster and your wheel will still be out of alignment. Same with chain tension.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:38 PM

That sucks, I was hoping that way would work and I could tighten my chain in 2mins and be done

Moses

Old 08-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Once you do have your wheel/chain properly aligned, it will be as simple as using that rag technique to put your wheel back on and get it properly aligned. But it must be adjusted to get it inline first before that method will work.