General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how hard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard?

i got a 1998 CBR900RR and i want to get this thing Solid black... I want to get the frame and swing arm painted.... How hard is it to disassmble this bike, if i never worked on a bike before. The only things ive even done to a car is exhaust and standard tune ups. Will it be ok to leave these parts off the bike for the time being? I just want to know what im getting my hands into...

I was going to do all new sharkins body, cept for the rear cause i want to keep my passenger seat.
Full Erion black powder coated Exhaust
Powder coat swing arm
powder coat frame

I might be using the wrong words, but how long will this process take me and how hard will it be to achieve. My goal is to have a bike like i havent seen before, and around here in New Hampshire its chrome, chrome, and more chrome. I just want Flat black or Gloss, i havent really decided... maybe a mixture of both

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Ohh how much do you think it will cost to get those powder coated... i know the fairings i can get painted at a friend of mines shop

Old 08-14-2006, 01:12 AM
Default RE: how hard?

Did the same thing to my F2. Disassembly's the easy part. But you have to get everything stripped down. EVERYTHING. Take the bearings out of the swingarm because the heat can possibly melt the plastic seals in the bearings. If the steering neck bearings aren't sealed, it may be okay to leave these in. On my F2, I took EVERYTHING off of the frame and swingarm and even the forks apart. It's very time consuming so I would recommend doing it during the winter time since in New Hampshire, unlike Georgia, you can't ride in the winter I'm sure. I think a flat black frame with gloss black body work would look pretty awesome.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:56 PM

;p thats what im thinkin... maybe some carbon fiber parts as well... who knows where ill go with it. Now, what tools will i need. I just moved, and unfortunately, i have a few sockets, and a few wrenches, and i need to start from scratch since i got back from the marine corps... I am thinking of going to lowes or sears and buying a 150$ or so set of towls. Im assuming everything is Socket or wrench anyways right?

Now ever since i raced bmx when i was like 14... ive always scewedd myself when i delt with bearings.....

Old 08-15-2006, 01:21 AM

There are some special tools that are needed, like large allens and spanner wrenches, but you might be able to get away with a starter set. I'm kinda in the same boat. All my tools are at work so I'm trying to slowly build up a duplicate set for workin at the house.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:47 PM

yah i think i definately want a really gloss black on my frame, and flat black on the body. Im thinking that the frame has to be powdercoated casue of it being metal and because of the heat. But the fairings themself shouldnt matter all that much, especially cause they are just plastic.