General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you wash and lube your chain

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WiSH2oo0
If so wouldn't putting fresh lube on top of your chain just be counter productive since it still has cleaning agent on it? I've read a few articles on chain cleaning and they never say to clean off the stuff you just used to clean your chain to make the fresh lube adhere better.

Thats just my thoughts, I don't know.

Moses
The Chain Doc stuff I use says that it evaporates after a few minutes. Kerosene probably does the same. I usually do two coats after a cleaning, once right after I cleaned the chain and then after a short ride to warm it up again.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by WiSH2oo0
LOL, When I was reading the article I did notice the date to see how current it was and didn't put 2 and 2 together

Moses
It's all good man, it helps to keep a sense of humor these days.

BTW, nice looking F4i. Very clean looking.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:02 AM
MZ5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
MZ5, I love you man... that's a riot !

Wish2000, go back and check the Published Date. Hook... line.... sinker...

Old 06-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one mentioned Simple Green yet. I use Simple Green to clean my chain if it gets really dirty. Then I hose that off, dry it and apply PJ-1 chain lube. Although I'm happier with that than the Bel-Ray lube I'd been using I might try the DuPont lube when my PJ-1 runs out.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:49 PM

best way I've found, I work as a Factory Mech, is to use a water based degreaser. Get yourself a Grunge Brush, thats the name of the brush. I use chain wax to lube it, it sticks better to the chain so no fling. You should be lubing your chain every 300 miles or after riding in the rain, to maintain the o-rings. If you have a non-oring chain, like the ones used for racing, WD-40 will be fine. WD stands for water displacer, it is safe on o-ring chains just make sure you clean it off well enough.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The concern with WD40 is at someone said earlier: it penetrating past the o-rings and getting to the lubricant there.

In itself, WD40 is perfectly safe for the o-rings themselves. There's a controlled test someone did with o-rings and various substances (including wd40) letting them soak for 24 hrs. WD40 and kerosene had barely any effect on size or elasticity.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:54 PM

So how do you go about using the kerosene out of a can? would you put some in a bowl and soak a rag or how ?

Old 06-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

I clean my chains about every 4000 or 5000 miles. They get lubricated every 500 miles with the Dupont Teflon. I use kerosene to clean the chain. To do it, I use a oil drain pan and put about 1/4" of kerosene in the bottom. I put the bike up on stands and remove the rear wheel. I allow the chain to dangle down into the pan. I use an ordinary parts cleaning brush like you'd use with one of those Safety-Kleen machines. About 10" of chain will lay flat in the bottom of the pan. I scrub that until it's clean, then rotate the chain about 10" and clean the next section. After I've gone all around it, I wipe it dry, allow to air for a while before applying the Dupont lubricant. My wifes chain has just under 30,000 miles on it now and is just starting to show signs of wear. I'd say I'm satisfied with the performance of the methodology.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:46 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Incognito
What I use on my chain, and it's only one of many products out there, is DuPont's Multi-Use Lubricant with Teflon (link). You can use the solvent already present in this lube to clean the chain, while simultaneous lubricating it. Another plus is that Lowes sells it for about $5 a can.
Confirmation request.. so you just use DuPont's Multi-Use Lubricant with Teflon to clean and lube at the same time?

Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 AM

You should be cleaning and lubing it about every 300MI or anytime you get caught in the rain. I run my own shop, and thats what I was taught at MMI

Last edited by Sprock; 06-06-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: ad

Quick Reply: How do you wash and lube your chain