General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you wash and lube your chain

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you wash and lube your chain

So I was always taught to use WD-40 to wash the chain but that is bad for the O-Rings is what I have seen online?? It says most dealerships say use kerosene?? Does this mean actually go to the gas station and buy kerosene? And do you soak a rag in their then use a brush for the small places as if you were using WD-40? Also is it better to use wax or grease for the chain? I have always used grease but I have heard wax is better? Thanks for all the help

Old 06-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not true. WD-40 won't deteriorate o-rings. That's an internet myth. What I DO believe happens however, is that the WD-40 will penetrate past the o-rings and deteriorate and clean out the lubricant already present there. You will then have an impossible time reapplying lubricant to those sealed areas. You can use WD-40 to clean the chain, just don't soak the chain in it or spray it directly on the chain. I'd say using a rag moistened with WD-40 should be OK, but ultimately it's best to just use an alternate product.

What I use on my chain, and it's only one of many products out there, is DuPont's Multi-Use Lubricant with Teflon (link). You can use the solvent already present in this lube to clean the chain, while simultaneous lubricating it. Another plus is that Lowes sells it for about $5 a can.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:04 PM

I use kerosene to clean my chain. I also use a product called chain guard. They make a chain wax too, but I like the chain guard as it penetrates the rollers where I think the wax is a little lacking. You have to remember there isn't just wear on the surface of the chain, but within the chain itself and thats where you need to get the lube. As long as you don't go overboard with the lube, the chain guard works great. Just have your bike on a rear stand and start spinning your rear wheel by hand. Start spraying on the inside of the chain until you get the entire chain. It really only takes a small amount, so spin the tire pretty quick. This way, the oil is forced outwards into the chain as you ride and has less of a chance of just flying off from the outside.

But most I've talked to prefer the wax, so that may be something you want to consider.

Its also a good idea to ride your bike a few miles to get the chain warmed up before you lube it.

Last edited by justasquid; 06-04-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To clean my chain I use Chain Doc Muc Off, which to me smells like... Kerosene in a spray can. After I'm done, I plan on just getting a tin of kerosene. I've heard from numerous sources that Chain Wax is bunches better than your average lube so I bought a couple cans. I can't really tell the difference besides the fact that it's messier on application... I used to use Repsol Chain Lube and it worked great so I plan on switching back once I'm done with these cans of wax.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kerosene & a good long bristled brush

You can get convenience gallons of Kero in Ace hardware and most Mom&Pop Hardware stores

Last edited by Sprock; 06-04-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:37 PM
MZ5

Seriously? Nobody here uses the pickle method?
Chain Pickle Motorcycle Chain Cleaner - webBikeWorld

Old 06-04-2011, 10:36 PM

That pickle article was a good read MZ5! I'm going to give a shot next time I clean my chain.

But what I don't get is after you clean your chain with any of the suggestions made so far, isn't that cleaning agent or from the pickle article the acid still let over on the chain. If so wouldn't putting fresh lube on top of your chain just be counter productive since it still has cleaning agent on it? I've read a few articles on chain cleaning and they never say to clean off the stuff you just used to clean your chain to make the fresh lube adhere better.

Thats just my thoughts, I don't know.

Moses

Last edited by WiSH2oo0; 06-04-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

MZ5, I love you man... that's a riot !

Wish2000, go back and check the Published Date. Hook... line.... sinker...

Old 06-04-2011, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Wish2000, go back and check the Published Date. Hook... line.... sinker...
LOL, When I was reading the article I did notice the date to see how current it was and didn't put 2 and 2 together

Moses

Old 06-05-2011, 02:19 AM

How Often do you clean your chain and whats the signs of needing to?

Quick Reply: How do you wash and lube your chain