General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys get through gates?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you guys get through gates?

Ok so I live in a gated community and I just got my bike. Now I have a problem. The only way I can get in is through the main entrance, where they verify that I'm a resident, and waste my time. There are 5 other entrances and 1 entrance right outside my house that would save me loads of time if I could go through there, but I need to use my GIANT gate opener. I went to home depot and bought a mini key chain gate opener transmitter and the guy there said that it would work with the gate I'm trying to open. So I go home and try to program it and it doesn't work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm trying to program it like the homelink system on cars, but it just isn't working. Maybe because it's only a transmitter. But unless I want to carry my original giant gate opener on my bike while riding, I have no other way to open my gates. Help please. What do you guys do? and Which transmitters work? Thanks

Old 11-20-2008, 12:51 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How do you guys get through gates?

but I need to use my GIANT gate opener.
How big is it? Like shoebox size?
I have a old Sears electric garage door (1979) andthe opener is like 2"X4"X3/4". Drop it in my coat pocket & forget about it.You couldhardwire a programmable remote toyour bike, but you have to find one that works first. Your gated complex could possibly use special frequencies/combinations that may not work with universal remotes.

Or you could build a ramp just outside the wall and jump over it like McQueen...

Old 11-20-2008, 02:32 AM

LOL at the ramp. I think I just might have to do that[8D] but ya. I bought my mini universal remote and it doesn't work. I think my gate opener is about the same or bigger than yours and it has 12 switches on the back. Which universal remote will I have to get?

Edit: Oh ya..I forgot to add. It works with the homelink feature on my car. What's the difference between that and a universal remote?

Old 11-20-2008, 02:55 AM

I"m going to bet on the community's gates being set up with a special frequency. bear in mind the idea of the gates is to prevent "everyone" from getting in, so they want something that cant just be programmed universally to open their gates. why not ask the community leaders, or whomever is in charge if you can perhaps get a smaller remote to open the gate? I'm sure this is possible if you go to the right people.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Banned

The Homelink copies the code, I use one in my Acura. The other ones need to be registered into the gate system by the gate company's computer weenie. I bought a mini one for $35 through my association and they come pre-registered. You may have to get to the gate company and ask for a small one if the association doesn't sell them that way.