General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I remove OE handgrips ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I remove OE handgrips ?

hey everybody...new guy here...i've got a 99 cbr600f4 and i'm replacing the OE gripswithgel grips...what's the best way toremove the OE grips ? And also any tips on putting the new grips on ? i've heard using dish soap helps.i've also heardthat some peopleuse adhesiveonnew grips and some people don't?? any thoughts on that too ? thx !

Old 11-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: how do I remove OE handgrips ?

seeing as i JUST did this, i will give you some insight....first take off your bar ends (duh right?)....i was actually able to just roll off my OEM grips....BUT...if that doesn't work...you have two options...

one is using compressed air blown UNDER the grip to loosen it and it should slide right off....OR...the way I did it, unless you are going to keep your OEM grips, doesn't really matter, use a box cutter and just start to score them at one end....as it splits, just cut down the split with the box cutter and they come right off.....

as for putting new ones on...there is a bunch of ways to put them on...once again, you can use compressed air to slide them on....or, once again, you can do what i did which was take hairspray and lube up the entire inside of the grip so it's sopping wet inside....they will just slide right on...then give it a good hour or so for the spray to dry and they won't even budge....sort of acts as a glue without actually gluing.....i know some people like to glue but i haven't read where it's necessary unless you have grips that are way too large for your handlebars which i highly doubt....

so in summary...

cut the grips off, use hairspray to slide em on....done!

works fantastic...post pics when you're done...mine will be up within the next few days hopefully now that i got my camera back!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Default RE: how do I remove OE handgrips ?

I use the compressed air trick, works like a charm. Just blow air under the grip while you pull it off and do the same to re-install blow air under it while you push it on. Works on just about any type or style of grip on any bike.