General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I paint my busted up spare Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I paint my busted up spare Helmet?

If there is already a post on this, my bad for posting it twice. When I got my bike the seller gave me his spare helmet. It looks like crap so I want to paint it a matte black, no gloss or anything fancy. Can someone tell me what I need to get my helmet painted?

Old 07-29-2009, 07:21 PM

thanks for the info

Old 07-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the helmet is scratched - has it hit the road ?
If it has don't even think about wearing it.

Second, while you can spray helmets, some paints will damage the outer layer of protection and may even bubble and look even worse than it does now, because of propellents or thinning agents in the paint like thinners.

I would get some advice from a professional painter before you start.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't wear a repainted helmet,
but it's your head !

Old 07-30-2009, 12:46 AM

Millions of custom painted helmets have been painted over the years without causing any damage to the shell. Im a custom painter and almost exclusively paint Jet Skis. Since I paint so much fiberglass I can tell you from my own experiance that some materials will damage the helmet. I use automotive quality paint and a spray gun. The process is just like painting a Corvette. As long as you prep it properly and use a good automotive grade paint you should not have any problems. Im a true believer that spray paint is for truck engine blocks and lawn mowers, NOT custom paint work. I hate spray paint! People always want to argue with me about my prices because they can spray paint their ski for $20 and then they dont like it and decide to come to me. Now my price goes up because I have to completely strip off all of the crap they put on it. Spray paint is not compatible with any of the materials I use and if there is ANY of it left on then my paint will bubble up and look like hell.

Shadow has a really good point! If your helmet has been damaged then THROW IT AWAY! These are only designed to take 1 impact and then they are junk. But then, I guess its your call. Im not the one that has to wear it.

Just my .02

Last edited by CBR Steve; 07-30-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by murdocity
If there is already a post on this, my bad for posting it twice. When I got my bike the seller gave me his spare helmet. It looks like crap so I want to paint it a matte black, no gloss or anything fancy. Can someone tell me what I need to get my helmet painted?
send it to me ill paint it