General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I install air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I install air filter?

As many have stated, I apologize if this thread has been duplicated, and if possible could a forum admin point me in the right direction.

I just bought a K&N air filter for my '04 600rr. Since I've gotten the bike I've had the dealer install everything (integreated tail light, horn harness, frame sliders, etc.). However I would like to know how to install the air filter because every 5k miles you're supposed to clean the filter. I dont want to have to take the bike in to the dealer that often for a job I can do at home.

So, could someone (with images) show me step by step how to remove the fairings and where the filter is located so I can do it in my garage?

Thanks so much!

Old 08-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go outside and look really hard at your bike. You see all the little allen head bolts that are on your fairings, remove them and the fairings will come off. Not sure how the RR is designed, but on my F4i you need to prop up the tank to get to the air box which contains the air filter. And I'm pretty sure theres no need to remove any fairings, just the tank.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:25 PM

Remove the tail fairings, seat, and gas tank. Sorry for the lack of images, but its very few bolts, and should be pretty obvious. The airbox is the big black thing under the tank. Take the screws out (should be 6 or 8) and lift off the lid. Air filter pops out by hand. Make sure you replace the foam deflector in the lid with the rubber one in the K&N kit. The bike will run a little odd for maybe the first tank of gas while it tries to adjust fuel levels to the increased airflow. This is normal. Get a PCIII and have the bike Dyno'd and mapped and it'll be like night and day.

If you still need a more detailed walkthrough with images, grab the service manual. Also, there's simiarly technical maintenence you should be doing at even LESS than 5k miles, so you should bone up on that, as well.

Last edited by johnnyx; 08-11-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:12 PM

Do I have to get a power commander? Those devices can be expensive, and I don't know much about tuning and mechanics....Otherwise, thanks for your help.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:14 AM

"Have to?" No, not at all. K&N doesn't increase anything beyond what the bike couldn't handle on its own.

Power commanders ARE expensive, but when properly installed and mapped, it can be like having a new bike. If you're content with the performance of your bike, don't do it. If you find yourself wishing it was more powerful, then that's the next step. There's no real "tuning and mechanics" to them. The installation is very straightforward, the wires are all clip on, and mate with your existing wires, and you upload the map to them form your computer. You do, however have to take your bike to a dyno, and the technician there will make the map for your bike. Some places even do it for free, especially track days.

Last edited by johnnyx; 08-12-2009 at 11:16 AM.