General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I turn back the mileage on a gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose you're right. I don't plan to resell it though, so I might just let it sit like that.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

what about digital gauges? my dealer and track shop said I was SOL

Old 12-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by CJardine
what about digital gauges? my dealer and track shop said I was SOL
a speedometer shop may be able to reset it to zero. but i think you are sol.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:41 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never tried it myself, but i've heard that attaching a drill to the wheel-end of the wire, and spinning the heck out of it will roll the numbers back, however, I have no idea can it damage the meter, or how long it takes, but in my understanding, quite a while...

Old 12-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't worry about it & just ride.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat

you can leave it the way it is if you want, however you cannot legally say whats the exact mileage on it anymore unless you know the exact figures. keep in mind changing your sprockets can change your mileage on there as well, or at least does on my f4i gauge.

there are honda mechanics who can do that service for you, however its expensive and not worth it.

i would simply ride it like it is, and note in the title the difference in mileage should you decide to sell it. i would not personally take the case off and attempt to change the numbers, as you could possibly break it.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month

In Canada, you have to mark down the mileage every year you register the plates, So if it was lower then last time you might be in some serious ****.

CJardine - http://www.bluegauges.com/mileages.htm $55 shipped back, you pay for shipping gauges there.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix
you can leave it the way it is if you want, however you cannot legally say whats the exact mileage on it anymore unless you know the exact figures. keep in mind changing your sprockets can change your mileage on there as well, or at least does on my f4i gauge.

there are honda mechanics who can do that service for you, however its expensive and not worth it.

i would simply ride it like it is, and note in the title the difference in mileage should you decide to sell it. i would not personally take the case off and attempt to change the numbers, as you could possibly break it.
F2 speedos are driven off the front hub, so sprocket changes don't affect the actual speed registered.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

it wouldn't matter as far as titles are concerned in the states. especially on a bike that old. the state surrendered the mileage that was on my 954 because there was a small little scribble on one of the digits - i forget what exactly the term is called - but there is a way around it.

and besides, you replaced the gauge with another gauge - mileage just comes with that. and it is at least going in the right direction (considering math)

if it's that big of a deal to you, search ebay for a gauge set that has a closer mileage already on it, then swap it.... (ever notice how the lower mileage ones tend to go for more money than the higher mileage ones?)

Old 12-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Default uhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine
Alright, so when I bought my motorcycle it didn't come with gauges installed. I was told the bike had 15,xxx miles on it. The bike came with some gauges that came from a scrapyard though, and the odometer says 30,xxx on it.

Is there an easy way to bring that number down to say 16,000?

Thanks.
I am going to be looking for an F2 with 16K miles on the ODO and 30K on the engine, in Maine sometime soon....::fishy smell::

After reading your most more clearly you state that "when I bought my bike my motorcycle it didn't come with gauges installed." But 2 sentences later.... "the bike came with some gauges that came from a scrapyard though......". No comment....

To answer your question, just sell the bike to some dude and TELL them it only has 16K and lie because it really has 30K or so on it... some squid will buy it.

Quick Reply: How can I turn back the mileage on a gauge?