General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to add fluid to forks????

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to add fluid to forks????

Is there an easy way to do this? I noticed a tiny bit of wetness on the seal of my right fork and wanted to check the level and bring to proper if needed. Can it be checked with the fork in the bike?

Wanna make sure everything is ok, I'll be rebuilding the forks within a month or so anyway.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: how to add fluid to forks????

In regards to checking the fluid level while the forks are in the bike, it really can't be done because the fork caps are what the springs push against. The load of the bike has to be lifted off the forks before you can remove the cap. Even then, it probably would be really difficult to assess the condition of the oil. Your plan of servicing the forks is probably a good idea since you’re seeing signs of fluid leaking past the seals. I service my forks every two years by replacing the seals and fluid. It'snot that hard to service your forks on your own. Before you reassemble, just make sure that forks have been clean thoroughly. Just need the proper tools and they are a sinch.