General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hose config question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hose config question.

I just bought my first bike, a '94 F2. I started going over the bike checking things and when I took the carburetors off and made sure they were clean (great 'how to' by therabbit on carberetor cleaning btw) I noticed that the hose configuration was more complicated than what I am used to on my dirt bike =)

I took pictures and labeled the hoses so I could put everything back the way it was but here is the thing. This bike has a lot of little things left over from the previous owner I want to fix/get right, ie mismatched bolts, nonstandard screws and zip ties of all things that were holding the fairings on, and the best, on the left side 1 of the 3 bolts to mount the engine to the frame is missing!

In short I dont have the confidence in the way the previous owner set up the fuel/vacuum hose config. I snapped a pic. I would appreciate any hints on how this should go together. (two circled are the ones in question)

Attached Thumbnails Hose config question.-107-0774_img.jpg  
Old 09-19-2009, 05:51 PM

I did some looking on the internet and found a manual. Apparently I have a 'California model'
which has additional pieces added on I guess for emissions. A 'Pulse Secondary Air Injection Control Valve' and a 'Evaporative Emission Canister'.

I checked and the Pulse Secondary Air Injection Control Valve is in the right spot but the Evap Canister is missing.

Does anyone have some knowledge or experience with a 'California type'?

Old 09-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey bud.
I know my bike is the 1000F, but I had the PAIR bullchit on mine, too.
Mine is a '95 Cali model.

I have a couple of pics of it as original and with the PAIR ripped out.

Here is how I have it set up now with the PAIR out. You can see the how the hoses are set up. It runs like a champ.

This may help??

How it is now....

Name:  IMG_0058-2.jpg
Views: 2384
Size:  109.6 KB

If you have any more specific questions I may be able to answer them.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:30 AM

Hey thanks for the reply.
I called the motosport shop near where I live and found out that the bike will actually run better without the Evap canister attached as it just chokes the bike more to control emissions. It looks like you removed the two circular valves (PCV and AVCV) and all their corresponding hoses as well. I will probly leave them for now unless they adversely affect the bikes performance. I see how you kinked the unattached hoses with a zip tie. I think I will do that. The previous owner had plugged one off by attaching it to one of the carburetor drains, lol!
Thanks for the help.