General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda CBR954RR Rode on Little oil HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, that's terrible Sorry to hear the engine is no good.

How are the pistons both bad and maintaining good compression?

Old 08-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks for sure! But, …… Lemme get this right- You're out a grand now, and they still haven't gotten into the bottom end? With an oil problem, last I remember, you would want to start with the bottom end first???? first look at the pan, then strainer, then mains, then rod bearings, then slide out a piston- I guess today is the age of "pay first, cry later" because of so many crooks- but it still sucks.

On the other hand, if thats the going rate……. I JUST SAVED MY A$$ A GRAND!!!!!! I just tore my own engine down, and found some spun bearings- wheelies on the freeway = fried engine! anyway, my case, and crank are toast, which I found a replacement motor the other day- But if I had that much in the diagnosis, I would be more than upside down in the bike for sure.

HOPEFULLY, the shop will hook you up, and apply some of that money to installation of a new/used engine, or attempting to rebuild yours- although if your cylinders are jacked, or the head is, Honda parts will plant a new one right between your cheeks for that! and I aint talking about the ones on your face!!! just for a factory case for a 96 900rr, (if memory serves me right) they ask for $1500.00!

anyway, the story here still hasn't ended…… So I STILL can't wait to see how this story ends.

Sucks to hear the bad news bro!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:00 AM

well from what i understood, (was kinda in shock) but there is a lot of shavings ontop of the pistons and valves. i believe what he said was that the shaving corroded the side wall of where the pistons are which means new case. there cost was basicly for them to build a new engine for me, the total cost for that one, 7200....Also the first 500 was them checking the cam belt and checking the valves.but i also feel like i should take it over to another mechanic and see what they say. We also talked about them putting a new engine in and the price he came up with was 700 bucks, its more expensive to put the engine in the bike then take out i guess. Also i didnt know that the 500 bucks to take it out didnt include putting it back in....make me wanna go to mechanic school for a cupple years so im not so in the dark on engines.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:00 AM

oh and kinda difficult to find a 954 engine. lol. not a whole lot out there.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:02 AM

and the pistons all have good compresson..

Old 08-04-2011, 02:03 PM

just bought a engine from a company. Say it garenteed to run and has been check by there service department. has 7600 miles on it. itll be here next week sometime. gonna put it in myself and save myself the labor cost of 700 bucks at the shop.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Good luck with that rebuild. Get yourself a manual, label every single bolt, nut, piece of plastic, and take your time.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:48 PM

well im not rebuilding the engine. im just gonna put the one i ordered in. one easy step is the engine is already out. so its just the part of putting one back in. have a service manual also to help guide me. if theres any tips or anything that would help that would be great.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:28 AM

The major tip is, FOLLOW THE MANUAL TO THE T! I'm not sure for your particular bike, but I know a few that require you to insert, and torque the engine mounting bolts in a certain order, or else the frame will get tweaked- (RC-51) also it's time to invest in a couple specialty tools possibly to get the job done right- it's worth it, and you'll have learned a new skill that will probably turn into a hobby.

Still waiting on the "end of the story"... Lol if you can follow directions, you'll do just fine with that manual!

Old 08-05-2011, 11:51 AM

im pretty excited to get her back and running hopefully by the end of next week, gonna put a lot of hours on her to catch up and get at it before the snow drops. and ill make sure i follow it dont want anything to happen that will make me cry lol. been thinking how horrible it would be to have the engine dropped, case break, ugh! gott a think positive tho. i also am thinking that maybe ill be able to rebuild the old engine. put it in a go kart or wave runner (6 speed wave runner mohahahaha!!! ) ill let u know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Honda CBR954RR Rode on Little oil HELP!