General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda ATV problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda ATV problem

Okay i know this is going to sound lame ahead of time. I have had a Honda 90CC forwheeler since i was 7 years old (13 years ago). I literally beat the **** out of it for the duration of its life. 2 Years ago it stopped working right and i just forgot about it because i figured it had reached the end of its life. well i am running out of stuff to tinker with so i figured i would play with it and see what i could do. The thing still starts fine after a bunch of pulls. it will idle fine but when you put it into gear it seems to have no power whatsoever. with no weight on it it will barely move but with any weight on it, it will just sit there. So what is its problem? where should i start? What should i change? Thanks

Old 01-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Default RE: Honda ATV problem

start simple take the carb apart clean the jets make sure there ain't any bad fuel gunked up in it, change the plug fresh gas after ya clean the carb, make sure the floats are set right and if that don't fix it might be rings and piston.. does it smoke any??

Old 01-12-2008, 05:54 PM

ya it smokesa little bit, no more than it ever did though. I left out something though when it started to act up i was actually riding it. it just suddenly lost power while i was riding it and since then it hasent ran right. i think it might be a transmisson issue but i dont quite know how to go aobut it or if it would be worth it. it will rev high but have no actual power it still has some power but not what it should. its a clutchless standard, you have to shift it but no clutch and when i was younger i didnt know how to shift so i would always shift without letting out the gas, it will still click through the gears fine... I dont even know if its worth the time and energy but i figured it was worth a shot. u can get a new one for like $1000 so if its gunna cost more than that to fix i will prolly just junk it. Thanks for the help so far, keep it comming!!

Old 01-12-2008, 07:15 PM

What is the exact model andyear?Is it a 2 or 4 stroke? Air cooled or liquid cooled?I agree with Miller, tear open the carb and clean it till it looks new. Then the air filter. Spark plug. Change the oil, look for anything other then normal like metal shavings or whatever. That might help give you a directionto go.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:13 AM

Any Pointers for cleaning the carb? I have never done one before

Old 01-13-2008, 11:52 AM

being the kinda quad it is the carb will be pretty simple, take it off the machine you'll have to unscrew the top and pull the neddle out, then get you a clen workspace so you can keep everything together, get a can of carb cleaner or starting fluid, take the bottom (the bowl) off and that will expose the floats and jets, spay everything with the cleaner, if you've never worked on a carb i'd probably leave the floats alone they can be tricky to get adjustedif you get em out of wack, but the jets will be little bronze looking screws with holes in the middle take the cleaner and spay through the jets and the whole carb till everything is clean check the bottom of the bowl for dirt, and if theres debree in the bottom i'd drain the gas tank and clean the fuel filter if its got one... and again change oil, plug, clean the air filter and fresh gas, then if that don't fix it you know theres something more serious wrong, but that will get you goin in the right direction, i've had bikes all my life but recently i had a 125 built that kinda done the same thing, started fine and was fine till top end, but i done everything i just told ya including plug and it ran fine

Old 01-13-2008, 12:51 PM

does it have a centrifugal clutch?

Old 01-13-2008, 10:58 PM

i dont know

Old 01-14-2008, 04:59 AM

Its the clutch. Replace it and you will find out it will move again. +1 on cleaning the carbs.