General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help tuning carbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help tuning carbs

Quick overview of the bike. F2 frame, with '98 F3 motor and carbs, no ram air snorkel, supposedly 637cc high compression pistons installed, and full exhaust. Unsure on the jetting, and it's got new plugs.

The bike starts right up when cold with a little choke. I can back off the choke pretty quickly, after letting it warm up for 20secs to a min or two depends on the temp outside. If I slowly roll the throttle on, it runs fairly smooth. But if i don't take it really easy, even in neutral, it cuts out and sputters. I'm talking even a quick 1/18th on the throttle in neutral, it will sputter then jump up in RPMs if i hold the throttle open.

When the bike warms up for a few minutes, the throttle response gets much smoother.

So I cleaned them, my first time tearing into carbs, and I didn't break them down completely. But when I put them back on, the bike was easier to start and the throttle response was much better. However it's not perfect, and it's starting to have it' old symptoms again (it's not being ridden, and I only start it up every now and again).

I am thinking either my float is out of adjustment, or the float is clogged. Possibly my idle/air settings are off as well. I'm going to remove the carbs again this weekend and clean them better than I did the first time, as I have more confidence that I'm not going to screw them up.

Any suggestions as to where I should look or what I should do to the carbs, and is there a float adjustment tool, or will a simple feeler guage work? Thanks