General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Crankshaft replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help!! Crankshaft replacement!

Hi all. I have an 04 1000. I got knocked off by some bitch turning whilst on the phone, after 5 days of ownership all the damage is down the left side/clutch lever side. It's ripped the cover off and apparently bent the crankshaft because there is a slight graze on the end of the shaft. Firstly does it automatically mean the shafts bent cos it hit the ground and secondly can I replace just the crankshaft or would it be better to replace the engine? Any help would be much appreciated as Im only learning the stuff as I go along. Thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 11:46 AM

Hi. I may be wrong and other members will soon tell me, but I shoudn't have thought that you have a bent crankshaft. If you can borrow an engineers dial gauge, you can, with the help of a mate, hold the gauge against the edge of the crank if there is room and check the run-out. To get the crank to turn, you need the bike in gear with the back wheel off the ground (use a paddock stand if your bike doesn't have a centre stand) and by turning the back wheel over you should see the crank revolve. You might want to remove the spark plugs to overcome engine compression. Watch the gauge and see if the needle on the dial moves. If it does but is only very slight, I wouldn't think the crank is bent. Get help from a knowledgeable friend if you are unsure how to do any of this. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 PM

Post up a picture. Did it rip the rotor off?

If there is any play in the crankshaft, then it neeeds attention...

Old 04-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Registered Users

Hi all, i had to slightly change my login name as it wouldnt recognise my old one for some reason. Here are a couple of photos, any help would be greatly appreciated....... thanks

Attached Thumbnails Help!! Crankshaft replacement!-cbr1000.jpg   Help!! Crankshaft replacement!-cbr-1000.jpg  
Old 04-04-2011, 11:16 PM

That's just the rotor. Unbolt that big nut and use a flywheel puller to pull it off.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:58 PM

eh . . looks fine to me . . .what i would do is yea first go ahead and pull that fly wheel off youll prolly need a new one of those. and a stator if that bike is so equipped. not sure how these new bikes are. and then yea just pull the plugs out and get the tire in the air and turn tire by hand and see if you can turn motor over because if it were damaged and "Bent" with that kind of inward force the damn thing prolly wouldnt even rotate . .or if you can turn just the crank with a ratchet and a socket or something ti would prolly be easier. but if it does rotate with out any binding of any obvious kind just get what necessary parts you need and slap it back together and see how she runs . . . . .whata dumb bitch lol

Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 AM

another thing a good tell tale sign that it may be trashed is if your crank seal has no obvious tears in it from the wreck but if you can see a gap of some sort or see maybe its not sitting on the crank where it should be and is pouring oil out then it is possible . .but lets exhaust all other options firt

Old 04-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Registered Users
Question

Ok thanks. When you say 'rotor' do you mean the bit that came out with all the copper bits in it? Whenever i try and search for 'rotor' all i get are brake discs....

Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 PM

just get a whole new fly wheel or AKA Magneto, and a stator AKA Pickup, the stator is probly the little copper pieces you saw get those 2 things and you shluld be good

Old 04-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Registered Users
Thumbs up

Ok thanks for your help people much appreciated... Hope you sort your own problems out..